About those mystery listings Airbnb "purged" before transparency report

[Read the post]

1 Like

The “beach rentals” in San Diego fall under the same fuckery. It’s a few large multi unit owners that screw it up for the rest. But I will say that in our family’s travel I have never had a bad experience with Airbnb.

2 Likes

Permitting excessive profiteering with real estate mainly makes economic life harder on everyone else who supports the properties’ infrastructure.

A comprehensive “toolkit” of policy proposals is needed to realign the discussion around how best to support fair housing opportunity for all people.

Include fair regulation of secured real estate lending, taxation, eminent domain, public ownership, public transportation, in-fill development, zoning, public disclosure of ownership and land use — and Airbnb.

Was room 237 among the listings?

1 Like

Honest question: Where should the line be drawn between legal and illegal listings on AirBnB? Isn´t every form of renting out property profiteering? When does it become excessive?
I´ve been thinking of buying a small flat to rent out on AirBnB. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is that I worry the tourism lobby in my city will put an end to the service before long.

1 Like

What’s the significance of including the carpet pattern from “The Shining” on this post? I don’t see the connection.

1 Like

You just happened to know that, or reverse image search?

It’s distinctive, particularly since it features in some of the conspiracy theories about Kubrick’s role in falsifying the moon landing.

It’s a post about bad hotels.

4 Likes

I don’t know about you, but I recognized it off the bat. Not necessarily because I’m a fan of the movie (I am, but not obsessive - haven’t seen it in years), but rather I saw the conspiracy theory documentary about it “Room 237”.

He’s not the only one to comment on it, either. However, David_Aubke, who posted an hour before this one, just gave a less blatant shout out to that room number.

Ahh, I get it. Thanks for the concise explanation.

To be honest I have never even seen “The Shining.”

I recognized the carpet because it was in the video featured in this recent post about all the references to other movies in Pixar films: http://boingboing.net/2016/01/11/video-all-the-classic-movie-r.html

(the carpet appears around the 30 second mark)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.