Acoustic meta-material: a shape that reflects sound but passes light and air

I would totally 3d print this. Seems like it’s exactly what I need to wrap around my 3d printer. Someone who can decipher this paper should make a model tuned to whatever the frequency of your average stepper motor is.

Reminds me of an MIT prank.

“Among the lesser-known practical jokes is the Pavlovian pigeon prank. The legend goes that an MIT student dressed in a black-and-white striped shirt went to the Harvard football stadium every day of one summer, blowing a whistle while scattering breadcrumbs or birdseed to coax neighborhood pigeons down onto the field. At Harvard’s opening game of the season, upon the referee’s first whistle, it’s said that hundreds of pigeons descended onto the field, causing a half-hour delay.”

source

5 Likes

You might want to see if you can put Trinamic drivers in your printer. They will make the stepper motors nearly silent. The only sounds left will be from fans and other mechanical bits that you have never noticed because the noises from the motors have drowned them out until then. It’s really a nigth and day difference.

1 Like

I’d think it’s rather just an empty roll of adhesive tape:

2 Likes

Fascinatingly useless. Unless you really need to reflect a particular frequency that’s traveling in a PVC pipe. Then it’s awesome. Maybe once they broaden their research a bit from the acoustic point source they’re using now, it’ll be more interesting. I don’t know what’s more annoying: such a limited piece of research being so widely misinterpreted, or people using the word “dampen” when referring to anything that isn’t getting wet.

I agree except for your criticism of the use of dampen. It’s used a lot in terms of things that oscillate.

Vibration is damped, not dampened.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.