Ads, ethics, and subscriptions revisited

I guess my problem with it is that they portray themselves as being pro user and pro internet, especially Cory… talking about all these net rights and privacy and protecting yourself and all that… and then have a site that has become more and more tracky, fingerprinty, data-selly, and outright malicious in some ads than ever. This site’s literally become more malicious in what it loads up and it’s really sad knowing that if I turn off privacy badger or firefox’s anti-tracking or any number of other things (I used to leave this site whitelisted in ad blockers until it started getting malicious ads) it will result in me opening myself up to risks.

EDIT:

Just to clarify… I turned off privacy badger, and ublock origin for this site, reloaded it , and watched it load up.

It made 1300 requests to over 500 domains and ran 7 different javascript ad softwares that were doing this. That racked up around 20MB of traffic in the first minute. Many of the requests were to outside trackers containing pretty much everything my browser would give up. These weren’t just tracking pixels, they were basically everything that my browser would give up to numerous, numerous different sites both inside and outside the US. Some of this was third party cookie setting , no doubt to be picked up by other sites.

I set my stuff back up.

88 requests to far fewer domains, 3.4MB of traffic.

32 Likes