After priest/child rape scandal, Australian Archbishop says he'll ask the Pope to allow priests to have sex

to send your unchaperoned children into the company of priests is child endangerment and should be a crime…!!

4 Likes

I am not talking about the well documented cases of pedophilia by a subset of those in the priesthood. That is an entirely different conversation. And a serious one at that.

I am simply stating a opinion about ending the mandatory celibacy in the priesthood as an idea that makes sense for the reasons I stated.

Geez

Missing from the study were all the rapes not involving in a religious perpetrators - which I imagine would be most rapes.

Most sexual assault of children occurs in a ‘home’ environment of some kind - usually that of a family member or ‘friend’ of the family (including priests). Having married clergy will not significantly diminish, or preclude, the abuse of children - by them or anybody else. Many pedophiles are found in what are considered ‘good’ families.

The confessional is a ‘red herring’ as well, since most pedophiles - who would be so ‘stricken’ as to confess to a priest might also be willing to confess to a policeman, a lawyer, doctor, family member or someone else they trust. Most confessions are conditional on completing a penance - after which absolution is granted. ‘Turn yourself in’ is an eminently practical condition for the forgiveness of sin.

Confession does not absolve a crime.

1 Like

One would think most parents, and priests are very much aware of that to-day. It was a topic about which male teachers (in particular) were cautioned 40 years ago.

Do you think had chastity been less an issue you might be to-day a polyamorous Theist?

Other than Satanism or the Church of Whut’s Happenin’ Tomorrow, To-day is there a faith that would have put the imprimatur of your philly-dandering?

I understand that Rasputin was not only a popular-with-the-ladies ‘Man of God’, his pecker has been kept as a museum specimen.

Making as assumption that polyandry might strike a few ‘targets’ on the great spectrum of human sexual behaviour, what do you think constitutes the singular taboo that makes sex with children anathematic religiously and socially?

or vice versa.

Unless the RC church makes gay marriage allowable, since the majority of RC priests are gay, allowing priests to marry isn’t going to help much. And what are the chances of gay marriage in the RC church?

1 Like

Chastity means ‘no sex’ in marriage or out of marriage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chastity The more complex definition is that chastity denotes morally elevated sexual conduct.

They never gave a hoot about the homosexual population. Requiring the clergy to remain celibate was a pragmatic way of ensuring they would not produce heirs who might stand to inherit their property instead of the Church.

Of course, in practice this has always made the clergy a more attractive vocation for those who never had any ambition of siring heirs.

6 Likes

The hooker factory implies that the FSM is cool with polyamory.

As far as Rasputin’s penis: sadly if I recall correctly it’s not his, it’s an old sea cucumber for the traditional one. A russian guy claims to have his real one (further on) but experts say it’s a horse’s, so it’s either fake or it explains a lot about the monk.

1 Like

Dude had a sea cucumber for a penis?! He wasn’t messing around.

I wonder how the Australian Commission got that number that over 60% of the religious abuse cases were perprated by Catholics. I have seen multiple refences to studies indicating there is no significant difference in abuse rates by clergy of different churches, and Australia is nowhere near 60% Catholic. I suspect the Commission study had a strongly biased sample.

1 Like

Source???

Reverend Cozzens “The changing face of priesthood”. “Cozzens estimated that as much as 58 percent of priests were gay, and that percentages were even higher for younger priests. His numbers matched previous estimates by sociologists who put the numbers of gay priests between 10 and 60 percent.” https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/07/29/catholic-priests-its-empirical-fact-that-many-clergy-are-gay

Sooo estimates. And his numbers magically “match” an estimate that literal has a 50% spread.

One could roll a 10 sided die and have a 50/50 shot of matching previous estimates.

Certainly there is gay clergy, but not sure one can make the “majority are gay” and be confident it is a true.

Oz Catholic Church now attempting to distract the press by falling back on their traditional bastardry:

4 Likes

Around 50% of the Catholic clergy are not celibate. Although most are having sex with other adults this leads to a culture of secrecy and denial in which illicit sex with minors can thrive. The film ‘Spotlight’ would be an easy way for you to get up to speed on this issue (or you could read the full text of the Australian enquiry - the final report is here: https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/)

Jesus fucking christ. Have they learnt nothing?

One quick not, there are Big T and Little t traditions in the church. Little t can be changed, and the marriage thing is one of them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.