After sexual harassment account, Uber exposé shows aggressive, unrestrained work culture

I worked for a manufacturing company a number of years ago whose president was a rich “good ole boy”. I was in a meeting with him and a couple of other engineers one time, and it came out that one of the other engineers, we’ll call him Robert because his name was Robert, had made a mistake on a drawing that resulted in a bunch of parts having to be scrapped. The president pounded his fist on the table and shouted “God damn it, Robert, I’m gonna kill you and lie to God about it!” Another time, something I had designed couldn’t be assembled because I designed these sheet metal parts with a space of exactly 0 between them. The president looked at me and said “don’t you know, there’s only one thing that’s supposed to be that tight” and then proceeded to chuckle quite creepily. Male dominated work places are so much fun.

3 Likes

In a meritocracy, people of merit accumulate influence and the trappings thereof. All these immature Randian man-boys are doing is enforcing a culture where the people who behave the shittiest to each other float to the top. It’s not natural selection, it’s mistaking shortsighted fear-induced tantrums and backstabbing sabotage for leadership and initiative. They’re not meritorious, they’re merely brutes in business casual.

4 Likes

Uber just got caught stealing code/designs from Waymo, Google/Alphabet’s self driving car co. Happy to see they’re doomed.

3 Likes

I once heard a satisfying but probably-apocryphal anecdote involving med school students who solved that problem by baiting the communal refrigerator with a delicious-looking sandwich that happened to contain a human ear.

4 Likes

Please do not eat other’s Hot Pockets.

FTFT. Almost as bad as stinking up the office with a microwaved tuna melt.

2 Likes

You know more than me, man. bow

Amit Singhal, SVP of engineering at Uber, has resigned.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.