After stabbing, Salman Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses" tops Amazon bestseller list

Originally published at: After stabbing, Salman Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses" tops Amazon bestseller list | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Welcome to the Streisand Effect, totalitarian killers!

Religious fundie book (and author) banners/burners never learn. Maybe if they read more than one book they’d get a clue.

15 Likes

Given the reaction it prompted in Iran I really expected it must have some extremely Islamophobic content, but on reading the book it never came across that way to me. Blasphemous, sure—but in a Last Temptation of Christ kind of way in that the story took figures revered by the faithful and injected them with actual humanity (including human flaws).

I very much doubt more than a handful of Rushdie’s haters ever read the thing.

12 Likes

I fully expected this would be one inevitable outcome of the attack; and I’m glad that Rushdie is recovering from his injuries.

They don’t even bother to read the one book that they claim to revere…

17 Likes

I did my part. I’ve never read the book before, but I have a hardcover edition coming and my wife and I both plan to rectify that.

10 Likes

Since English is not my native language, “The Satanic Verses” were a little too hard for me to read when I tried it, about 20 years ago. But sure thing, I’ll give it a new go very soon. BTW: If you haven’t read it, “Midnight’s children” is a fantastic* novel about the history of post-British India, so is “Haroun and the sea of stories” (which is more of a children’s book).

EDIT: * meaning both “kind of magical” and fantastically good.

10 Likes
13 Likes

Couldn’t help but pull this Derek Stevens (Rockin’ Broccoli) SNL skit from the archive stack:

1 Like
7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.