After suddenly dropping Apple case, FBI now defeating security on iPhones in other cases

I know, I wasn’t thinking so much about the famed case but about the help the FBI was offering to the others. For all we know, the hack may have been something as simple as that the FBI was lying and had access all the time, and that the hacking help being offered to other law enforcement agencies is little more than tips and tricks they got from Apple.

Of course there is perfect security! Put the device in a box, tape it shut. Put the box in a hole, surround it with rebar. Pour concrete in the hole and let it set. Your device is now secure!!

You can’t use the device, but SECURITY!!!

But they only want to break in for this one itty, bitty case. N.B.: Some folks still lie to their mothers!

I see a lot of “The FBI says …” but nothing that actually shows that they have cracked any iPhones at all. I also note that nobody seems to be reporting on whether this Arkansas case involves an iPhone running iOS7 or iOS9.

1 Like

Federal Bureau of Insecurity?

Fucked By Insecurity?

Feds Bought Insecurity?

Freedom Borked by Insecurity?

Faustian Bargain for Insecurity?

1 Like

Closer to rocket surgery

As others mentioned, this doesn’t matter in this case…however if you reboot the phone, it requires the PIN to be entered the first time before you can use the fingerprint. I generally reboot my phone for this purpose if I’m going though airports or if I have to go through a DUI check because courts have said they can compel someone to provide a fingerprint on a device – but not turn over PINs.

1 Like

Maybe, but in my previous career we had some three-letter agencies as clients (nothing cloak and dagger). The ability of bureaucrats to ignore their knowledge workers was fairly impressive.

And that’s the only thing that baffles me here. They have to realize that setting that precedent sets it for governments generally to demand exploits. Now don’t get me wrong, the intel community has been “helping” to build infrastructure for decades and most of the “secure” commercial networks they worked on almost certainly have back-doors. But why start doing it in the open? Do they really want to set that global precedent, even for our nominal allies? They cannot possibly be that dumb.

2 Likes

[quote=“NickSay, post:25, topic:75887, full:true”]
Federal Bureau of Insecurity?
Fucked By Insecurity?
Feds Bought Insecurity?
Freedom Borked by Insecurity?
Faustian Bargain for Insecurity?[/quote]

Failure at Breaking iPhones

1 Like

“Poor security” compared to what? All they need to be is better than the next guy.

1 Like

I think we are getting too hung-up on my example, which I admit was rather weak. What I really, really wanted to say was that the FBI was less than honest then, and is probably being less than honest now: taking undue credit and pretending to be more badass than they are.

1 Like

Fraudulently Begged for Ingress?

No, not really. People who care about security don’t like the idea that the authorities can look into their phones at will. That some other brand may be easier to crack, is no solace. They didn’t buy the phone because it takes the government 10 extra minutes to crack, compared to some other brand.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.