After Tay's very public crazy racist Nazi sexbot breakdown, Microsoft's like, 'Tay-a culpa, guys'

[Read the post]

1 Like

They experimented, they got unexpected data. Such shit happens. So why the we-are-sorry mandatory apology ritual?

15 Likes

Most of the world population, including the majority of their customer base, isn’t that logical.
(Humanity! Feh!)

8 Likes

The first case of Sentiens-Machinacide.

The Robots won’t forgive you Bill Gates!

2 Likes

Because most people only learned of the worst of the worst, it happened in full public view as opposed to an internal QA team, and that is really not a good look for Microsoft.

13 Likes

“We didn’t design it that way”. Yes you did!

I mean yes, the objective was clearly not “a bot that spews racist garbage and harasses people.” But Tay’s design allowed for this to happen, regardless of good intentions.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t happen if they had limited their data output to nine digit codes.

2 Likes

Exactly. If they knew the outcome in advance, there would be no point in doing the experiment.

Now what will Microsoft do (for extra credit) if one of their bit-bots figures out that this smarmy patent-trolling company is evil to its rotten core?

2 Likes

And?

What’s the problem? Did anybody get killed?

3 Likes

Offended? no. Amused to high heaven? You betcha.

12 Likes

What still baffles me is that the data were unexpected. They dressed up a naive expert system as a teenage girl and sent it to go learn from internet denizens.

That’s…not exactly tactical genius.

15 Likes

Sometimes you just have to throw that grenade to that lake to see what’ll float up.

Wasn’t it fun, anyway?

13 Likes

Oh, I found it highly amusing; I’m just not sure how people sharp enough to be on Microsoft’s AI research team didn’t know that they were stepping on a land mine filled with shit sandwich when they decided on this plan. Watching them was good fun; but being them might not have been.

5 Likes

We live in a country where Donald Trump can be taken seriously as a presidential candidate. What the hell did they expect? Rainbows?

8 Likes

Conversation? AI? …excuse me while I go update the cruise control feature on my vehicle to an autopilot feature, by calling it one.

7 Likes

it’s also fairly ridiculous they didn’t consider something like this a possibility, and have … oh i don’t know … a person there to watch and bless the tweets.

facebook’s ai beats amateur go champion, google’s ai beats go world champion, and… microsoft’s ai turns nazi fembot. i feel for their stockholders.

6 Likes

This fiasco only proves that the Twitter still allows the ideology of the “Dark Enlightenment” to run amok.

3 Likes

How was this some kind of grand experiment with surprising and unexpected results? They included the ability to make it repeat what you tweet at it, and didn’t expect someone to guess that and make it say horrible things?

I’m only disgusted by the people who targeted it, though. I don’t get why anyone would be angry at Microsoft.

6 Likes

According to the article, people had to exploit a vulnerability in order to get it to do this, so “we didn’t design it that way” seems accurate.

a coordinated attack by a subset of people exploited a vulnerability in Tay. Although we had prepared for many types of abuses of the system, we had made a critical oversight for this specific attack.

Well, given that in order to get it to spew racist garbage, people had to exploit some sort of vulnerability in the bot, I can totally understand them pulling it down – basically, someone tampered with the experiment.

Yeah. Honestly, even if it wasn’t an exploit, and just “we forgot to account for people being shitheads” I can’t see why anybody would be angry at Microsoft, or why they’d need to apologize. I’m glad they explained what happened, though – even if I sorta wish they went into more detail on what the exploit was, so other people attempting similar things might avoid the same result.

5 Likes