After the precariat, the unnecessariat: the humans who are superfluous to corporations

Dark times require dark humor.

2 Likes

Came here to echo this. I would have had no health care at all over the past few years if not for Obamacare and my state’s embrace of Medicaid expansion. The ACA is far from perfect but not as far as the previous situation was.

My late uncle was a diehard racist Fox News enthusiast who would loudly complain about his taxes going to support lazy freeloaders, and he perceived no contradiction while moments later gloating over how incredibly low his own Medicare premiums were despite his amassed wealth.

Cognitive dissonance is a big thing with, y’know, [looks around furtively, whispers:] those people.

10 Likes

It’s true! And they’ll do it in an anodyne way.

First, the weak, old and vulnerable - simply stop allocating food and medical care. Then the unemployed, etc etc.

Investors with huge piles of money at stake will go along with it, until they realise the computers are concreting the world and nothing will ever grow again.

If by fighting you mean overdosing, then yes.

1 Like

I don’t think corporate AI needs to be very robust for the unnecessariat to be a thing. Black people stopped being useful to white people in the south when slavery was abolished, and even today they’re mostly being used to fill prisons and keep whitey scared. Native Americans have filled this niche since they were “discovered” by whites. Chinese workers became surplus once their railroad labor was no longer required.

This is a very old pattern. White people have been giving tacit permission for their corporations (and governments, and churches) to do this, for as long as the’s institutuons have existed. The only new twist on this, is now that it’s white people being shoved aside, we suddenly need a fancy name to explain what’s happening.

7 Likes

As one useless eater to another, I for one welcome our corporate overlords and their shiny new AIs which will determine when we live and die.

2 Likes

I think a big thing in the future will be local availability of food/potable water etc…

Soy is a good option: it can be made into just about anything.
Really, I think people will have to live far, far more efficiently than they have been.
And one of the first steps there is getting out of the house/apartment and making contact with our neighbors.

• Do trans-human corporations identify as human?

Perhaps they too will eventually learn that their gut flora are actually critical to their long term health.

Hopefully before wiping or the non-sociopaths among us with financial antibiotics…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.