Ageism and Misogyny in the Male Gaze

I would argue this intro is objectively terrible and will age worse than Madonna.

3 Likes

Madonna is 65 years old. What do you think senior women look like? How about you post your pics so we can assess?

7 Likes

I think senior women are beautiful, like my wife for example. All I can say is that in my experience most women age quite well and naturally and it’s beautiful. Madonna looks like bloated plastic chipmunk. Do you think she’s ageing well?

I think that bringing up women’s looks in this conversation is both off topic and misogynistic.

14 Likes

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

11 Likes

Hmm, fair enough actually. I hadn’t considered that but yeah, it was off topic. Misogynistic? I can say it was unintentional at least.

I will find another comparison in the future. I was only trying to think of something topical that aged poorly. Perhaps I’ll just link to my comment in the future :slight_smile:

it’s important to consider – not just what we intend – but how it will be received. rating a woman’s worth by your judgment of her appearance is always going to be received poorly.

that you then did so again in your response:

I was only trying to think of something topical that aged poorly.

is additionally problematic.

11 Likes

Live and learn.

1 Like

it’s never too late to amend, strikeout, or remove earlier posts in response to new lessons learned.

7 Likes

Sorry to pile on here, but this is the misogyny part, that your go to thought for this thought exercise was the appearance of a talented, older female star.
Not her work. Not the appearance of a male star. Not racist or sexist or other humor that has aged poorly and is discussed in the feeds pretty frequently. “Baby, It’s Cold Outside,” the song, has aged very poorly and is in the news every Christmas season, as one example of things that are relatively topical and aged poorly.
:woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

Pretty sure this thread should be called ageism and misogyny in the male gaze. She looks tired is too recondite. Abstruse? Obscure?

9 Likes

Done.

4 Likes

Too late now. After changing his profile to this trolley, said user has been suspended.

3 Likes

Go Away Goodbye GIF

7 Likes

I guess he got told to eph oph. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

3 Likes

i acknowledge i made a hurtful statement, and so i’m going to find a way to make it worse… wild that approach is so common.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you! This particular thread really is the best location for this:

10 Likes