Ah, the sound of a dot matrix printer!

I had one of those. It could wake the dead.

5 Likes

“Video unavailable”

1 Like

We were at a car dealership that still uses one.

I had a printer that used something like a daisy wheel, but more of a cup shape. That thing sounded like a machine gun going off and, as I lived in an apartment, I was very mindful about using it. One night I was printing out some homework and one of the letters (or the spoke that had the letter) broke off, I think it was ‘s’ or ‘e’. There was a blotch wherever that letter was supposed to appear…

2 Likes

Possibly a NEC Spinwriter. I had one for a while. Built to survive a direct bomb strike, as I recall, and loud as one too.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a similar printer live in concert.

Man or Astroman - A Simple Text File

4 Likes

Above: Youtube of Apple Imagewriter ɪ ɪ

Apple Image Writer ɪ ɪ is the one most ingrained in my mind. My father used one until not to all that long ago. He misses Apple Works.

I can’t remember what printer had a LPT (Line Print Terminal) code or codes that put the printer into a “diagnostic” mode that basically systematically lengthened the heads travel and return, until it hit resonance with the table, and then slowly fell out of phase again. I haven’t used those brain cells since the 90s and I don’t even know if I am using the proper terminology. I have no idea why I want to wake those brain cells.

Edit: Added- I think it was a long brown Epson. Super wide. But it could have been emulating an Epson printer (Via a DIP setting). I don’t know if I am remembering the DIP switches or the printer. I think it even had a character cartridge with a dial that was irritating to get to.

3 Likes

At a previous job, my employer had to print out labels on barrels of waste chemicals, incoming chemicals, scraps, etc. Working in California, we have a lot of regulations and the labels had to be printed: To be fully legible and be able to withstand exposure to daylight+rain+temperature+etc. and still be legible 6 months later. But all the current printing methods rub/wash/deteriorate quickly. We could buy a $5,000 USD solution…all-in-one-printing system.

The only other option: Sit down with a Fine-point permanate Magic-Marker and HAND-WRITE Every Single Label…which is what they were doing for the first year until I heard about this issue.

Instead, I had previously found an old Dot Matrix Accounting Printer that printed the old very-wide format. We hooked it up to an older computer with a Centrix-standard parallel port, bought the $50 USD software, found a place online that supplied printing ribbons(!)…and saved $4,900! It was in-use for years…until our plant was closed (the division was sold to another company).

TQQdles™

4 Likes

Strange ProDOS there. So what twist of fate do I key in to see witness to the Imagewriter I I meet Russian Overclocking where they stick supply capacitors 5x what they normally are on the board, and put printing plates around the platen?

2 Likes

Back in t’old days, when I were a young programmer, still getting to grips with punch-cards, we used to repair to t’pub at lunchtime. It was a good idea to buy a drink for the operators (we had OPERATORS back then!) for those who failed to do that, tended to find that a crucial punchcard would have dropped out of their program pack. We used to vie with each other to see who could imitate the sound of a dot matrix printer. We never seemed to tire of it. Perhaps the alcohol had something to do with that.

3 Likes

Respect & appropriate offerings prevent BOFHs from fucking with you.

1 Like

So what twist of fate do I key in to see witness to the Imagewriter I I meet Russian Overclocking where they stick supply capacitors 5x what they normally are on the board, and put printing plates around the platen? -@Flossaluzitarin

I do not know, but I am sure if it does not exist yet Bruce Sterling or William Gibson will call it into being by starting to write a story with that as a minor element only out that it already existed as they wrote about it, not realizing that they were shaping the near future as they wrote.

I can say that they Image Writer ɪ ɪ had a primitive scanner attachment that was the shape of ink ribbon cartridge. The sheet feeder also was terrible. ProDos opened the ability to use more RAM or even a RAM disk before GSos did.

You got me thinking though. The pins were metal, and possibly one could conduct electricity through them to foil paper, and that could act like a printing plate if it removed… I have too many projects.

I have to run a self check.

] KERNEL OK

Edit, add- that should just be KERNEL OK, but I’ll leave the prompt and cursor because I remember it like that with the bell (control-G) sound, but longer sounding and pitched differently.

1 Like

Came to the comments to post this. Glad I didn’t need to!

The scanner was called a “Thunderscan”:

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Thunderscan.txt

Andy Hertzfeld, from the original Macintosh team, helped with this product.

1 Like

Same. :slight_smile: Saw them play it live back in the day too :slight_smile:

Paul Slocum has released the source code for his project to turn the Epson LQ-500 printer into a synth: http://www.qotile.net/dotmatrix.html

I think that was it.

I borrowed an HP Inkjet to finish the assignment, then plunked down $100 to buy one for myself. That wasn’t a fortune in 1995 but nonetheless it cleaned me out until the next payday. That particular HP turned out to be a PoS.

Or don’t care about printing speed.
It was not long ago they were still used for cash register tapes. I remember standing in line waiting for one to slowly print a receipt for each customer. When my turn came, I found it was laboriously printing “THANK YOU - HAVE A NICE DAY” in big letters.

1 Like

Imagine if CVS still used them for that one- to two-yard length of paper they give you for that single item you purchased.

2 Likes

Yeah, your warranty is five years or until your proof-of-purchase fades away.

2 Likes

We still use them for address and incident details in the fire service, in use all over the UK, incident summaries on return to station can produce miles of paper after a big job.