AI screw-up results in man being fined $400 for scratching his head

He’s being fined based on the picture. If you agree that the picture doesn’t necessarily show anything, why is it his responsibility to prove that he wasn’t doing the thing that the photo doesn’t show him doing?

Why not just issue a ticket to the owner of every phone that is in use on a roadway. If someone wants to contest the fine, they can explain who or what or how the phone was being used.

On a more practical level, you say his phone history could show what someone with the phone was doing, and that person could be brought in to testify. (Again, at whose expense?)

So, here it goes:
State: You were on the phone.
Tim: No, it looks like I was scratching my head.

State: Your phone was in your car, and a call was in progress to Paul at the time the photo was taken.
Tim: Hmm. Maybe it was my wife, or my friend Ted calling Paul.

State: Wife of Tim, were you on the phone with Paul while in the car with Tim on January 6th, at 4:19pm?
Wife of Tim: Could be. I do ride with Tim, and I do talk to Paul.

State: (same interaction with Ted)

State: Paul, who were you speaking on the phone with on January 6th, at 4:19pm?
Paul: Um, I don’t remember. I could have handed my phone to my husband, or to our kid, or to my friend Ken who was visiting that week.
State: WE WILL ROUND THEM UP!

Tim: By the way, my car also allows connects to the phone hands-free, so it could have been me talking on the phone legally, while also scratching my head.

I mean, the fact that the guy actually understands the tech that is being used against him shouldn’t count against him.

If he had just said, “nope, doesn’t look like I have a phone to me” would you be more convinced?

1 Like

If a false positive are profitable to the people who run the system, it’s predatory unless there is sufficient counterbalance.

3 Likes

We knew that before Jan 6th, it wasn’t really a secret. The question is more whether Dutch and EU law would allow such privacy violation

2 Likes

Sounds like a Babylon 5 episode:

“The truth is sometimes what you believe it to be, and other times what you decide it to be. My task is to make you decide to believe differently.”

This whole thing is a larger waste trying to dredge up every single data point when they could… just drop it.

None of this makes the public any safer. We’re well into the land of diminishing returns.

Not since Antoninus Pious.

Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat, etc.

1 Like

… and yet here we are, in a forum where people post their opinions :thinking:

3 Likes

Have you really never learned that people are presumed innocent until proven guilty, and that the burden of proof is on the state not the accused?

If all the state has is a picture they say shows Hansen holding a phone, and it isn’t clear that he is holding a phone, that should be the end of the case.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.