'Airplane!' is more than a spoof, it's a comedic remake of a 1957 film

A small little snippet of that concept was incorporated into his SNL monologue:

10 Likes

TIL that Airport was a whole franchise of movies, and as a teenager I stumbled upon The Concorde… Airport '79 on TV and watched a good 10 minutes of it before eventually coming to the realization that it wasn’t meant to be a comedy. At one point one of the pilots is shooting at a surface-to-air missile out of the cockpit window using a revolver, so I think my confusion was pretty justified.

8 Likes

That’s definitely more funny in Airplane II: The Sequel

…than in Airplane!

:wink:

All this reminded me of another airport-related comedy, Modern Problems. Those stressed-out air traffic controllers, the unbelievable plot twists, and Dabney Coleman as a sleazy self-help guru led to a lot of funny scenes.

7 Likes

ah! i totally thought that was in the first one.

( and yeah, some of the bits in airplane! are a bit… much. )

4 Likes

It would’ve been an epic movie if made when Nielsen was still alive since he played the captain in the original movie!

3 Likes

The funniest thing about that movie is my parents took me and a bunch of my friends to see it for my birthday. One of my friends was the son of a Baptist minister who, had he known, would not have approved. :laughing:

4 Likes

You are correct ! It was the original Airport movie with Dean Martin. I must have watched all these Airplane! source movies and gotten terribly confused. I do recall not liking Martin’s character though.

4 Likes

Dean Martin was very good at playing a dickhead.

3 Likes

Is that a way of saying that he was a dickhead?

No, merely an observation of his acting skills. No actual dickhead is as kind to their horses as he was.

ETA: Wow, guess I really need to watch my “mouth” around here, with all the misinterpretation. I’ll try to do better.

5 Likes

I remember studying an excerpt from the script for either the radio or TV version in high school. Noticed the food poisoning element immediately.

2 Likes

I read you correctly and I gave you a :+1:, which I changed to a :heart: so it wouldn’t look like I was agreeing to the second part. :laughing:

1 Like

Fank you, dawling!!!

2 Likes

I love how Airplane! kept the same droning propeller engine sounds even though the aircraft is a jet. Of course they also pop the hood to dip the oil right before takeoff too.

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.