Will Smith and Kevin Hart to star in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" reboot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/18/will-smith-and-kevin-hart-to-s.html

3 Likes

I’m sorry but some things should not be messed with. This is one of them.

19 Likes

“THOSE AREN’T PILLOWS!”  

10 Likes

FrJk

No.

Inspired by? Maybe.

Re-imagining? Perhaps.

Reboot?

No.

12 Likes

8 Likes

“Oh, he’s drunk, how would he know where we’re going…”

5 Likes

While I agree and dislike reboots, there is one way this would work.
In the original, Martin was the straight man and Candy was the comedy.
In the reboot, Hollywood will make Smith the straight man and Hart the comedy.
If they flipped the roles, making Hart the straight man, it would have a better chance of being funny.
One time this happened was the Ackroyd/Belushi film, Neighbors, where John Belushi played the straight man. Hollywood doesn’t take changes which is why they are rebooting things no one asked for.

5 Likes

Will Smith and Kevin Hart took a good long look in the mirror after reading the news and seeing the commoners in their riots on the streets and asked themselves, How can we use our collective star power and wealth to make a real change to an old movie to appeal to a modern day audience?

I find it helpful to remind myself that almost none of my personally treasured movies are originals either. Most times, when I dig into them, they are remakes of a film from the 1920s, a popular film from another country, a Shakespeare play, etc.

Perhaps for this generation this will be their PT&A, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

8 Likes

I’m not terribly upset over the news of the remake. I love the original and the roles were perfectly cast, but the central story is something that i wouldn’t mind seeing current actors take a stab at. My concern is i don’t know how much wackyness they’ll try to playing things up, though at the end of the day if it’s not as good as the original i think that validates how good it is and hopefully brings more attention to it. If a remake ends up being also good in its own way i think that’d be a win too.

I read “Kevin Smith” and an eyebrow raised.

6 Likes

As I read this I let out an audible scream and my wife called to check I was OK. Why do they have to do this, just write something as good and try for your own success but please whatever you do leave Mr Hart at home, he is about as funny as slamming a very important appendage in a car door!

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion, but I think this could work. Let this one be theirs, without trying to reproduce the original to a T.

2 Likes

Exactly, re-imagining, inspired by, whatever you want to call it. I liked “I, Robot” and “I Am Legend”, even though people screamed sacrilege. They were their own stories, enough that they couldn’t be confused with the originals, at least for people who read them.

What they don’t need to do is a frame by frame copy, like Psycho…

3 Likes

Nah, I’ll pass.

6 Likes

I always liked “Continental Divide”, where John Belushi plays it relatively straight, or maybe subdued, a reporter going into the wilderness for some reason. I haven’t seen it in a long time, so maybe I’d see it differently now. But it made me realize he could be more than over the top.

2 Likes

It’s a remake not reboot. The latter seems to apply when they decide to make another string of Spiderman movies, or Superman movies.

There have always been remakes. Maybe the onky difference is that I’m living through the original and remake. But it feels like they are coming closer together, and has less substance for a remake. The first questioned asked shoukd be “why do we need a new one? What needs changing from the first?”

1 Like

I think you are absolutely right.

I’d pay to see this reboot as you describe, but instead of a comedy - turn it into survival horror or something.

1 Like

Exactly. There have always been a lot of remakes, including Capra who remade his own 1933 Lady for a day as 1961 Pocketful of Miracles (28 years), and Hitchcock who remade The man who knew too much (34- '56; 22 years). At around a 35-year gap between this and the Candy/Martin version, this is pretty typical, and maybe on the longer side. Of course, shop around the corner (1940) was remade as In the good old summertime 1949; 9 years, and When Harry Met Sally was remade in 1999 You’ve got mail (joking, this was shop around the corner again; 50 years ). *A star is born was remade 4 times (37/54/76/2018; 17, 22, and 42 years).

Also, they mined many memorable 1960s movies, I think following the success of Thomas crown, but I’m not certain:

• Thomas crown affair (68-99: 31 years)
  • Ocean’s 11 (1960-2001; 41 years)
  • Sweet november (68-2001; 33 years)
  • The Italian Job (69-2003: 34 years)
  • Alphie (66-2004; 38 years)

There are obviously a ton more, including ones during the silent era that were remade in sound, and B&W remade later in color.

1 Like

A good example I think of how this works is:

as a remake of

Nothing lost, only gain.

2 Likes