Trailer for deadly-serious Fresh Prince reboot

Originally published at: Trailer for deadly-serious Fresh Prince reboot | Boing Boing

1 Like

RE boing boing:

8 Likes

I’ll be honest, without any comparison to the original sitcom, this actually looks pretty good.

4 Likes

In this version, can Carlton dance well?

8 Likes

Indeed

6 Likes

My initial reaction to this humorless reboot

That’s a pretty harsh way to put it. The OG show always had plenty of real moments and heart, and the reboot taps into those very same themes so it’s not reinventing something that wasn’t there already. Honestly i’ve been excited for this project, right now with all of my anxiety i’m not sure i want to watch a drama but i really hope it does well because i know i’ll want to watch it at some point :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The only reason you’d assume it would be bad is by comparing it to the original sitcom: “What? A story premise that was originally for a comedy told seriously?”

I also think it looks good from the trailer.

1 Like

We don’t need a gritty reboot of the Fresh Prince.

What we need is a Gritty reboot of the Fresh Prince

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

15 Likes

I would watch Gritty being relocated to LA under a witness protection plan, and him fitting right the fuck into Venice Beach or perhaps Torrance.

18 Likes

If they’re smart they’ll set it in the early 1990s, during the period when the original show aired. Lots of potential in a period piece like that.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure I read it was set in modern times.

I’m feeling ambivalent at best about this new show…

9 Likes

I was curious if any other comedy successfully went to drama so I asked Google.

The only other show I could find, and remember, is Lou Grant. Technically not a reboot but a spinoff of Mary Tyler Moore.

I probablly won’t buy another streaming service just for this though.

4 Likes

Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Dance GIF

8 Likes

Hearing “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, but serious”, this seemed like a bad idea. Then I watched the trailer, and I see no reason why this story couldn’t work really well as a drama. I’m sure there will be humor in it; I can’t imagine Will Smith being OK with a grimdark version of the original sitcom. As long as they keep it feeling real, and not go overboard with melodrama, looks like something I’d enjoy.

4 Likes

He enthusiastically is, its the only reason this even happened. Some backstory is that a black filmmaker did a fake trailer for a dramatic version of the show and Will Smith loved it so much he made sure that the filmmaker could actually make that vision come true. See the fake trailer below:

And here is Will Smith interviewing Morgan Cooper, who made the it:

7 Likes

That’s cool and all, but Smith also thought it was ‘a good idea’ to remake Aladdin

8 Likes

Yeah, not gunna say that Smith has made good choices, i never had much faith in the Aladdin remake even without his involvement. But at the very least he’s very much the basis for Prince of Bel-Air so it makes sense that he’s giving a thumbs up on the dramatic version and i wish everyone involved success and hope it pays off.

5 Likes

Right on.

I guess I’m just tired of remakes, in general.

6 Likes

For sure, the extreme aversion to risk keeps studios retreading worn out ideas, or concepts that already did things well the first time. I do believe that there’s space for a serious version of fresh prince, and it can highlight struggles of POC but to your point a new IP can do that too.

Which reminds me i really need to pick Atlanta back up…

6 Likes

You have a little over two months to prepare…

It’s been 4 years since Season 2.

6 Likes