Airport workers, including TSA, raid unlockable luggage for valuables

I have one of those — made by Dick Cheney’s outfit, no less — but all the parts on it that stick out have been busted off by baggage handlers (some bus, some plane). Halliburton will replace those, but it would cost about $80, if I’m remembering a high enough figure.

If they pat me down, I’ll do my best to think dirty thoughts. Might as well give them something to find down there.

1 Like

That still spells home made detonator.

1 Like

You can make a pressure-sensitive detonator from a piece of metal and a cup of coffee cream, or a bag of chips. (Notice how those blow up tight and taut as the aircraft climbs.)

You can make a homemade detonator from so many things. And if the metal parts are made from beryllium, the xrays won’t see it at all.

It’s the explosive payload that is the important part.

Sure but in the movies it has to have a countdown timer to generate tension and realistically thats what the TSA will be looking for.

4 Likes

Not to mention, a pilot friend told me there’s far less general security screening of low-level airport workers than of the passengers–not just TSA workers, but all mechanics, luggage handlers, clerks, custodians, etc. I’m not sure if that’s changed in recent years, but it seems like a huge security loophole.

1 Like

Oh, no no no.

The processes there are top-notch.

4 Likes

Flew international for the 1st time in many years. Leaving Costa Rica, they had a search station manned by 4 agents on the jetway to find and confiscate water bottles purchased or filled inside airport security! All the US passengers were shocked, but the staff insisted it was US TSA regulation. Utter madness. If they’re afraid of terrorist passengers obtaining their explosives inside security, they’ve got much bigger problems than water bottles.

8 Likes

It is a US regulation. You are not supposed to take beverages you purchase in the sterile area on board the plane. Stupid, and weird, but don’t blame the Costa Ricans.

1 Like

I wonder about the price for this regulation that the airlines had to pay to get the overpriced onboard beverage monopoly.

4 Likes

Do NOT rely on that logic if flying to Japan!

1 Like

We have top men working on those planes.

Top. Men.

2 Likes

If we can’t trust TSA with the keys to our luggage, what makes me think I can trust NSA with the keys to my data?

3 Likes

What does anyone need with checked luggage anyway? Unless you’re flying to Antarctica or something, there will be shops at your destination. Buy clothes and toiletries when you get there, donate them to charity before you leave.

Yeah, no. That’s a rather poor idea for all kinds of reasons, starting with not wanting to get stuck with Hobson’s Choice for a change of clothes.

3 Likes

Especially when flying to tropical tourist destinations - just hit up the first “5 t-shirts for $5” shop you see and grab a week’s worth of clothes for a sawbuck. Sure you’ll be dressed in the most absurd wardrobe imaginable (yes, Mr. Maui we like to “Hang Loose” and “Hang Ten” too! Aloha!) but in some ways this might actually help you fit in with other locals at the bottom end of the wage scale. An even better plan is to hit up one of these shops before you leave and mail your disposable wardrobe to your hotel; that way you’ll have an I Love NY (or Fuck You, You Fuckin’ Fuck) shirt for every day of the week, and at the end of the trip you could sell these rare items to the locals for a profit!

1 Like

Toolbox? Antennas to play with the local RF environment?

1 Like

Spoken like someone who has never been a plus-sized woman trying to buy clothing. It’s bad enough having to buy something in an emergency (your tights rip or your underwire breaks while you’re at work; your bathing suit gets snagged on something while you’re on holiday; the airline loses your luggage). Trying to shop, on the spot, for attractive and affordable clothing to wear in a variety of settings lest you have nothing at all to wear is basically the fat woman’s equivalent of the nightmare where you have to take a final exam and you haven’t studied and you’re naked.

6 Likes

I came in to post this. Well, this:

But yeah, doesn’t matter what lock you put on there, if your suitcase has a plastic zipper, it’s ridiculously easy to get in to.

I got a set of eBags packing cubes about 18 months ago, curious to see if I’d like them. I wound up giving sets to all my family this Christmas. Not only do they make the process of “into the hotel dresser/back into the luggage” much easier, keep my suitcase more organized, and keep my clothes away from my shoes, toiletries, etc., I have to wonder whether they discourage theft. When the TSA opens my bag, all they can quickly see is my makeup bag, my dopp kit, and the eBags. To get to anything, they’d have to do a lot of unzipping, but it’s pretty easy to just swipe or squeeze them for whatever “anti-terror” checks they’re doing. I wonder if packing stuff in clear Ziplocs would help?

(Seriously who is checking their computers though??)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.