Alabama library flags a children's book because of author's "sexually explicit" last name

Wait till y’all hear about us down here in the south! /s

14 Likes

:+1:

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan are regularly top 10 for public education in national rankings. The midwest is where the best standard procedures for public school processes were developed.

10 Likes

I must have just imagined the pride crosswalks and gender neutral bathrooms in WI. /s

14 Likes

Please don’t deign to speak for an entire region, yo.

That’s overgeneralization, at best.

12 Likes

Or the Enola Gay… but it’ll be untouched by that crowd since the history involved the deaths of at least 70,000 Japanese.

3 Likes

I’ve lived here all my life (just turned 48) in three seperate Midwestern states (grew up in a very small farm town, and now live in Chicago) and no, it’s really not. Not when it comes to your average Midwesterner.

Which means it’s merely anecdotal.

There’s more to the world than just your personal perception.

‘Appeal to authority’ denied.

Sincerely,

Another native Midwesterner who has lived all over the US in my 48 years on this planet.

11 Likes

Another lifelong Midwesterner here (turned 51 this year)… and I disagree. My “neck of the woods” contains multitudes: different ethnicities, different levels of education and income brackets, different perceptions of the world around them.

How are you defining the term “average Midwesterner”?

10 Likes

If only we could ban them from the library, but that point is moot. /s

2 Likes

So how do 5 people have so much influence? It would be great if all they got was a standard reply that their concerns were noted but that the books would remain on the shelf.
Why does this need to get attention at National or International level as anything other than a “btw, some idiot tried to ban a book and was told where to go”?

9 Likes

Because the book challenges give cover to bigots within the school system to take away the books

11 Likes

So you’ve met every other person that lives up there and you’ve personal verified their all right wing jerks? How do you have time for a job? /s

4 Likes

Actually not only two. I mentioned these two from Missouri as example.

I lived in Ohio and Texas back in 2014/25 for a year in each place, and I met all kinds of people (executives at work, inmigrants, CEOs from small companies, blue collars in a bar I used to go, a GF for like 6 months, etc). In total I may say I met 200 persons, and I had meaningul conversations with like 10/12/15.

Some of them sincerelly asked “Why USA is hated in other parts of the world?, what did we do?”. That means a total lack of knowledge of foreign USA policies or what is happening elsewhere. I remember at least 3 of those conversations, and were maybe 2 with college educated guys, an 1 with a vicepresident of a small company, that means, they were not rednecks / MAGAs / QAnons or anything. Also, they told me 95% of high school history is about USA history. And geography is like 80% based on USA geography. And 90% of Americans do not have a passport, so they are not interested or ever traveled outside USA.

I mean, I really know not all Americans are Homer Simpson!, of course not, but Trump got there for a reason, Boebert won again for a reason, Fox News is still in the air for someone, Hannity, MTG, Cruz, and dozens more are there for a reason.

I like your country guys, I really like the people, but you it is very sad the country being destroyed as it is now.

1 Like

Then stop acting like that’s the case and casting all of us as the problem, FFS. Just… STOP. It literally helps nothing.

4 Likes

It is a bit absurd. I don’t use certain sections of the library–I have no use for the Children’s section, or the many shelves of Vietnamese language books. But I recognize that other people do. These people belive that they have no use for LGBT literature. They should recognize that other people do.

4 Likes

I’m surprised they haven’t locked onto The Flintstones yet:

When you’re with the Flintstones
Have a yabba-dabba-doo time
A dabba-doo time
We’ll have a gay old time

Expect complaints this holiday season as Merry Little Christmas calls for us to “Make the Yule-tide gay”.

7 Likes

Or the singer-songwriter Marvin…

2 Likes

Deal. I stop doing it, but please note the stereotypes are there for a reason. Stereotypes are not random. And everybody has stereotypes. What is your mental image when I say “I am from South America”? And when I say “I am white, male, high income, married?”. There you have your stereotypes. When you see those stereotypes are the same everywhere in the world, even internally in USA, there would be some truth in it right? And I never casted all of you as the problem, just the mayority of you (Trump was not a self imposed dictator!) The problem is the remaining 10, 15, 20% are polite, educated and civilized, then they are way less vocal and have far less exposition and reach as the MAGA crowd. Anyway dude, I do not want to argue with you!

1 Like

And relying on them to understand the world is lazy thinking, at best. Stereotypes are often used for highly destructive ends. They’ve been used to enforce forms of segregation and in the very worst cases, genocide.

Do better.

7 Likes

Stereotypes are also a push vs a pull thing. All of us are bombarded by local and international media attempting to skew perspectives one way or another for a wide variety of reasons. I’ve become highly skeptical of anything I assume based on the internet or news.

6 Likes