Alias: a smart-speaker "parasite" that blocks your speaker's sensors until you activate it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/04/acoustic-firewall.html

3 Likes

So, a smart speaker for your smart speaker?

Yo-Dawg-Heard-You

11 Likes

I’d like it if it looked like a head-crab.

4 Likes

Or a brain slug. :grinning:73f6e35f3566bf733eb37e17615ef50a

8 Likes

Does it block infrared sensors as well?

Don’t have a smart speaker - don’t want a smart speaker. But if I’m forced to buy products due to it being the only option in the future; I’m thinking that an ice pick would be cheaper than this.

5 Likes

Nifty fix for a problem in a product I do not need or want.

2 Likes

A friend did a network teardown of his google home and found that it wasn’t using the network at all until the command phrase was issued. I don’t pretend that it’s not a vulnerability, but that vulnerability doesn’t mean it’s transmitting everything you say to the mothership.

2 Likes

I see it as more of a prophylactic than parasite.

5 Likes

Amazon/Google/Apple are gonna be pissed about all that white noise filling up their storage arrays. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

DMCA lawsuit in 3…2…

Seriously, if I’m stuck with one of these things in the near future, I’ll be looking in to it.

1 Like

I doubt enough of these parasites will sell to matter to the larger companies.

I wonder if the speaker could sample the white noise and then invert it to cancel the white noise and get back to spying as usual.

3 Likes

Is it copyrighted white noise though?

3 Likes

DMCA? As far as I can tell, the device is completely external to the speaker. Why would DMCA come into play?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure more tenuous “subversion of use” claims have been made. After all, they don’t have to be right, they just have financially defeat their target.

2 Likes

Or a head pigeon?

4 Likes

If it looked like…

…that’d be alright too.

2 Likes

So you want a method to stop your smart speaker unintentionally activating until you actually want it to.

Switch it off?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.