Alien-looking robot to stock store shelves

Here in Boston MA at my local Walgreen’s they have replaced the after hour shelf stockers by making it part of the job of the regular business hour workers including the cashiers. I dread the restocking days when the aisle are full of boxes and pallets.

Anybody know how those Apple™ employee less stores are doing? Cause that seems to be where things are heading.

1 Like

I’m of the mind that universal unemployment should be the ultimate goal of technology. Let people get on with their lives instead of having to work.

3 Likes

They made it a furry?

Weirdest timeline does it again!

1 Like

If people aren’t needed for their labor, why keep them around at all?

I’ve never understood this idea you espouse. Why would a work free society be altruistic?

1 Like

What, as opposed to this work-based one? Yeah, sure I love it here. Why change?

1 Like

Alien Centar Robots… controlled via VR.

Are not on my 2020 bingo card.

2 Likes

There are a few theories on why to keep people around.
One is because robots don’t shop and we have a consumer economy in the US; if no one can buy things why even have the store with the robots in it? You would need some sort of “universal unemployment” (to quote @MikeTheBard) so that people can buy things. They would also be able to live their lives without working.
Another is from a non-economic angle: the notion that human society is a good thing, and finding ways to keep people from starving or committing genocide is a net positive.
Some of this is explored in the novel “Manna”, here’s the wikipedia link to it (author web site is in there, and text is readable for free).

1 Like

Once again, our more-likely future in space is in plain sight and few realize it. Never imagined I’d see the day when Japanese convenience stores and Chinese mining companies would technologically leap-frog NASA…

1 Like

Seriously… fuck the robots! They are going to cause major unemployment and misery

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.