Alien-looking robot to stock store shelves

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/02/alien-looking-robot-to-stock-s.html

1 Like

I get the idea of advertising and individuality in the marketplace, but in terms of logistics it makes better sense for standardization of all stocked goods. There should just be specific bottle sizes and shapes and then you could have a pick and place robot between shelves with all the overflow stock being stocked inside. Identification and storage would be based on the UPC code.

I’ve done over night stocking. Really only half your work is “stocking”. The other half if facing and sorting of all items on a shelf. My main area was HBC, which didn’t get that much restock, but took lots of time facing and sorting the stock that was already there (mostly do to the number of items and small sizes.)

5 Likes

yeah but, can you fuck it?

5 Likes

Just great, a worker is already being harassed.
incarnedine_v, HR wants to see you right away, no don’t finish what you are doing.

7 Likes

1 Like

in the countries with the lowest wages

5 Likes

I, for one, welcome my robot overlord convenience store shelf stockers.

5 Likes

Seems like it will be much faster once they remove the human from the equation.

2 Likes

A Gall Force Paranoid? Really? Not the look I would have gone for…

Gall Force Paranoid

2 Likes

in japan, pet bottles are standardized sizes. it makes reuse and recycling easier. it’s here in the states that we let consumerism run wild without any regulations to control the junk we produce.

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-data/h00401/plastic-love-japan’s-prodigious-usage-and-recycling-of-pet-bottles.html

The Plastic Resource Reclamation Declaration—issued in November 2018 by the Japan Soft Drink Association together with soft-drink manufacturers and other industry groups—raises the goal of achieving the 100% effective utilization of PET bottles by fiscal 2030.

5 Likes

That’s the creepy, all-too-plausible premise of the 2008 Mexican/American sci-fi film Sleep Dealer.

6 Likes

Yeah, right; they want you to believe this is just for shelf stacking - what it really is , is an anti-shoplifting development…

1 Like

Hold up there a second. What is going on with those heels? I’m intrigued, really.

3 Likes

Yes and I don’t think its a bad thing. I would love to replace cleaners in our aged care homes with remotely controlled robotic cleaning machines, which don’t bring covid into the facility.

2 Likes

Robot remotely controlled by badly paid, union-less workers from a third world countries I guess ?
Capitalism really hate humans.

3 Likes

It’s nice to see that the cats of the uncanny valley have mastered the technology required to shed their frail flesh-forms for the perfection of steel and plastic; I guess.

4 Likes

It looks like Felix the Cat.
Felix

3 Likes

That is a good movie. And the very thing I thought about seeing this demo.
Sleep Dealer +++++ would recommend.

1 Like

For a long time we’ve figured we’d replace everyone with robots but it seemed too big a technical hurdle for it to ever happen, I figured this would be the first step, robots remote controlled by humans whom are paid a wage, which given that your paying for a robot and paying a worker seems completely uneconomical, but the idea would be you use the human operators actions to train neural networks on how to make the robot perform the duties of that job. Eventually it could do it without the human and then there you are, just a meatsack out of a job.

1 Like

Did they really have to make these things with pointy ears which are likely to poke customers?

1 Like