All beer labels have to be approved by one guy, and he's a nutcase

Hi JonS, I think you’re misinterpreting what Battle is doing. It isn’t a case of:

The examples that were selected were problem examples for reasons backed by FDA claim laws. For example, the “LEGAL Weed” beer, comes from a town called Weed, founded by a guy called Weed - but their advertising is clearly cannabis-based. They have brews called “Mountain High” and “Shastafarian”. So, they play off location and weed (pot, not Mr.). The cap said people should:

“Try LEGAL Weed,” the cap of the beer bottle reads. “A friend In Weed Is a Friend Indeed.”

If that cap was sold out of state, and on one of their beers not otherwise referencing the state, it would be implying that the beer itself contained cannabis.

There’s a guy in Australia doing the same job.

1 Like

That’s what the ingredients list is for. People still can read, can’t they?

1 Like

It doesn’t matter. Not everyone CAN read.

Isn’t there nearby 100% correlation between literacy and beer-drinking age?

Nope. There really isn’t. Check your school stats.

1 Like

Not only that, I don’t think our label laws are really too conservative. After reading this I walked down the beer aisle of our local super marche, and I’ve got to say the labels ran the gamut of artistic/humorous/ironic/serious/etc. And many of them faithfully describe exactly what they will be like (hop stoopid being one of the most accurate).

A walk down the vitamin aisle at our local organic shop was a completely different experience.

1 Like

Not my fault your schools are failing so badly. Good old communist-style education I was subjected to had apparently better results.

Besides, then there are bigger problems: allergens in the ingredients lists that said people cannot read.

…and cannot there just be an online database of ingredients, in addition to the small print, linked to by the UPC/EAN barcode that’s there already anyway, so it can be accessed by a machine, read out loud (for blind people, e.g.), or interpreted to a binary (red/green, for the given personal preferences)…?

2 Likes

There’s also an inverse correlation between beer-consumption and the ability to read…
:beers:

4 Likes

Allergens are denoted apart from other ingredients, and in bold face. A person may not be able to read, but they usually will learn symbols that can kill them. Also, allergen-free products for children frequently have graphic symbols like these:

1 Like

I may have had a recent disagreement with you, but you are spot on. I’m a fan if silly puns, but weed should be on labels/caps if it has weed in it. If a cap says Citra and it doesn’t have citra, that just happened to be the name if the town, I’d be non plussed.

Thanks for that.

It also applies to math.
Don’t drink and derive!

6 Likes

You ever see an ingredients list on a bottle of beer before?

1 Like

(@da_bird)

Yes? And the good ones also list Plato, ibus, hop varieties, and SRM.

1 Like

The bad ones though…

4 Likes

Tip 'o the hat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably not in the US…

3 Likes

In which case, it really doesn’t matter what’s written on the labels, then, does it?

It does if it’s misdirective.

No. It doesn’t. If you can’t read, you can’t read.

Also ima go waaaaay out on a limb here and suggest that if you can’t read then craft beers with cute punning names probably aren’t in your strike zone.

2 Likes