Feds say no to LSD Ale (which contains no hallucinogens)

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Allā€™s fair in the War On Drugs :cry:

4 Likes

Whereā€™s the link?

1 Like

This story reminded me of Kent ā€œBattleā€ Martin, who effectively approves all beer labeling in the US, I remember him being pretty fascinating:

10 Likes

Indeed has been selling this beer for at least a couple years now. Itā€™s odd that there is a fuss over it now.

Itā€™s actually pretty tasty. I bought it mostly the for the aesthetically pleasing bottle- judging the book by the cover.

I say they rename it the ā€œBeer formerly known as LSDā€. A purple bottle of beer from Minneapolis? Seems to fit nicely I think.

6 Likes

I hope they can get together with whoever represented Flying Dog Ales in a battle over the label designed by Ralph Steadman for their Road Dog Porter. When I first saw it in the stores it said, ā€œGood beer. No censorship.ā€

And I thought, well, two things I can agree with, but it still seemed like an odd slogan. Then they won their case and were able to go with the original design.

7 Likes

Seems like a good regulation to me. If you are going to put LSD on the can, then truth in advertising tells me that LSD should also be in the beer. :slight_smile:

From what I understand, they can sell the beer this way in Wisconsin, but exporting to another state means a federal regulator gets involved.

1 Like

In other news, it is now illegal to sell any Beatles recordings of Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds and the city of Chicago will have to change the name of Lake Shore Driveā€¦

Seriously, why doesnā€™t the brewing company just tell the feds that it stands for ā€œLake Shore Driveā€ and make a slight change to the labelā€¦

3 Likes

Reminds me of all the LSD stickers that were all over the audiovisual equipment at my school.

Lakewood School District. (Hebron, Ohio)

Which did precede the discovery of the hallucinogen at least.

3 Likes

In any case, LSD ale has already been done.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/goudale-lsd/286562/

Iā€™m disap dismayed that the BoingBoing Store wonā€™t carry my Date Raspberry Mango Ale.

4 Likes

Everybody knows operating a brewery is a gateway industrial process to LSD manufacturing. Slippery slopes, people.

8 Likes

Tastes like licking a battery!!!??? Well, no wonder the keepers of public morality see fit to clamp down here.

Who knows what could come next? Sooner or later, those brew fans will want to move on to the real thing. Think of the implicationsā€¦

3 Likes

Because music and the naming of streets isnā€™t federally regulated.

Should I be able to make a snack food, put NUT-FREE on the label and then when somebody with a nut allergy ends up in the hospital I can just tell them NUT-FREE is an acronym for nuance-understatement-and-truth-free?

Killjoyā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t know. Is there a copyright on the actual acronym ā€œLSDā€? I was a cross-country runner in high school and we often had workouts called LSD. We never called on our coaches for actual hallucinogenics, although I know somebody who took a tab and said he ran for what seemed to be forever.:wink:

The brewer is free to sell their LSD-labeled beer in Minnesota. The federal regulations donā€™t kick in until they sell across state lines.

I was talking about your ā€œtruth in advertisingā€ claim.

Emphasis mine. Itā€™s worth a try just to see what thatā€™s like.

Admittedly Iā€™m enough of a beer geek that they had me at ā€œaleā€.

2 Likes

10 Likes