All but one juror in the Ahmaud Arbery case is white. Judge admits "discrimination" but seats panel anyway

Originally published at: All but one juror in the Ahmaud Arbery case is white. Judge admits "discrimination" but seats panel anyway | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Watching this case and the Horst Rittenhouse case, at this point anyone who’s not willfully blind can’t help but come to certain conclusions about the American justice system.

35 Likes

so, in theory, you are critical of the American justice system?

17 Likes

I dunno, it’s just this weird feeling I have. Strange, because everyone knows this is the Greatest County on Earth™, with Liberty and Justice for All.

20 Likes

* Some terms and conditions may apply.

26 Likes

Amy Poehler Expectations GIF

11 Likes

Well, there is this at least…

11 Likes

I see what you did there.

11 Likes

Subtext: Being unfair to non-whites is a system feature rather than a system bug.

6 Likes

Remember, black jurors are supposedly incapable of being impartial jurors because of their race but white jurors are more capable of being impartial jurors because of their race.
Ostensibly because they don’t view everything through a racially tinted lens or some bullshit.

14 Likes

Color me:

Pun fully intended.

13 Likes

Yeah it’s kind of nuts how courts seem to equate “willfully blind to the realities of racism in our society” with “impartial.”

15 Likes

Given how bald this and the Rittenhouse shit has been. I almost wonder if the judges are actively angling for a mistrial.

6 Likes

It’s the Default Race theorem.

3 Likes
  • Some disassembly required
6 Likes

The More Perfect podcast had a great episode on history of the doctrine that jurors can’t be struck because of their race, and the problems actually enforcing it, including interviews with the man whose case originally led to the doctrine.

More Perfect: Object Anyway

Edit: When I say “great” I mean they do a great job of explaining the history. The podcast has a weird bouncey jovial tone that seems at odds with the serious subject matter, and some of the things interviewees say may make your blood boil.

2 Likes

That’s a rhetorical question, isn’t it?
Who knows… maybe the scrutiny of millions of eyeballs will change their behavior.

Then again, maybe not.
We shall see.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.