Alt-right social network Gab down after website, domain registrar and own tech chief abandon it

They’re taking all of this about as well as you might expect (and of course they have a verified Twitter account).

12 Likes

Hey @gab guess what? You’re the media.

11 Likes

While Freeze Peach hardliners are wringing their hands about how this 99ºF fever could be really dangerous, everyone else is wondering why we had to start losing limbs before the immune system kicked in.

8 Likes

Private companies refusing to do business with another company isn’t censorship. That’s a common trope in persecution culture.

It has to be the government to be censorship.

10 Likes
  • Community support for Nazis
  • ???
  • Profit!

I think that business model needs a little work.

4 Likes

Watch them believe their own bullshit and turn into Tankies :smiley:

3 Likes

Last I checked I wasn’t the media, but I guess that’s the risk you run when you lack any creativity and select a user name three letters long; you have about a 50/50 chance that your three-letter permutation will end up unknowingly converting you into a social media outlet for reactionary Nazi terrorists. The Internet is an amazing and depressing place.

6 Likes

10 Likes

I’m sort of hesitant to try to answer this as my understanding of hosting, domain names, etc., is sketchy. But consider what one of the linked articles says:

“We have informed Gab.com that they have 24 hours to move the domain to another registrar, as they have violated our terms of service. In response to complaints received over the weekend, GoDaddy investigated and discovered numerous instances of content on the site that both promotes and encourages violence against people.”

One of the other links goes here:

…Gab’s Twitter account posted one alleged message from Joyent advising them of “notice of a breach of the Joyent terms of service” and another from Stripe saying Gab had “not provided us sufficient evidence that Gab actually prevents violations of our policies in your Gab Pro service, or any other portion of your service that relies on Stripe for monetization.”

That’s three companies alleging that Gab is in breach of standing contracts. They’re promise-breakers, more or less. As far as I can see, there’s no indication that this is the product of an organized activist campaign, there’s no story about anyone “harassing” Gab’s hosting providers.

If there were an organized campaign to boycott, embarrass, or otherwise pressure the hosting providers, would that be so bad? Would it be unusual? Wouldn’t the hypothetical activists also have free speech rights? Isn’t that the way the world changes?

Almost every protest movement gets painted as “harassment” by somebody.

I think you could make a case that the internet has become too important to be so centralized. Having more options for DNS, hosting, payment services, etc., might be a net good. It seems clear that that Gab’s difficulties are exacerbated by the negative effects of over-centralization.

Ironically, the far-right community they’ve nurtured would, as a whole, undoubtedly oppose the kind of regulations that might make that happen.

11 Likes

Nah, they’ll become NazBols assuming they aren’t already.

I doubt that most of the other fascists could pull it of convincingly, going by all the laughable attempts I have seen over the years.

7 Likes

“At press time, the founders were said to be considering a new venture, which they described as ‘TED talks for the right’.”
So, basically the Munk Debates, then.

THIS TIMES INFINITY (and beyond!)

for DNS services, I imagine that it would fall under GoDaddy’s ‘universal terms of service’ document which do state under sections 5.iii , 10, and 14 that they can terminate services at their discretion. (Gab would fall under section 5.iii most likely)

2 Likes

I was scratching my head over the idea that Steve Bannon would be “debating” David Frum on the question of “Be it resolved, the future of western politics is populist, not liberal…”

Wouldn’t they both be debating on the anti-liberal side? (The question is a scam too. Populism isn’t the opposite of liberal.) For an honest debate, don’t use someone who’s background is neo-conservative think tanks.

I started to wonder about the Munk debates when they sent a definite B team to debate Jordaddy and Stephen Fry.

eta: Chaotic-Evil vs Lawful-Evil:

4 Likes

It’s a debate between a traditional far-right type and a fascist. I expect Frum’s argument will be that Bannon has some good ideas, he just goes a little too far.

3 Likes

No, here’s the real problem: I don’t see any need to challenge Steve Bannon. No one sees a need to challenge pro-pedophile speakers, pro-cannibalism, pro-murder, etc. So why fuck do the far-right white nationalists keep getting invites every time some rubbish group wants to buff their pretend freeze peach creds?

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.