Alternative (and Reliable) Shopping Thread

I dont believe in Santa, and most of what “Christmas” means makes me nauseous.

And yet, I shop. Gifts, it seems, must be given.

I dont want to wander around in shops this year, which means a lot of ordering online, but I dont want to feed the Amazonian beast either. I’m okay with paying higher prices to avoid that.

What good, reliable, alternative online stuff purveyors have you discovered? Please share!

I buy a lot of books, for example, but I find the alternative options bewildering. I would order from local used bookstores, but two have told me yes, we can get you new books, “we just order them from Amazon.” :persevere:

Hearing about sellers of anything that Happy Mutants might like would great, including small businesses that ship their awesome shit.

[Image: Nicholas Cage creepy head gift wrap]

9 Likes

I did order some graphic novels here, especially because I appreciate the website. I hope they’re not just rerouting via Am*zon…

9 Likes

I’m gonna champion some local shops…

Criminal Records - the owner is one of the founders of record store day:

This is a Black owned gaming shop. I have not ordered online from them, so I don’t know how that’ll go:

And here is a local used book shop I like - we have ordered online from them, and it did take a while to get our order, but that’s because they had to order some of our books and it took a while, and they wanted to ship them together - they did get in touch to let us know, so:

And this is a fun shop with all sorts of weird and interesting things:

it did start as a junk shop and has evolved into a local institution (there is another in Athens, too, the Junkman’s Daughter’s Brother, I believe).

13 Likes

Here’s a small business that I like for my ‘Smell Goods’ (bath & body wash products);

I have another one that I like even better, but they have gone on hiatus until the new year.

8 Likes

I haven’t ordered from here yet myself, but close friends who avoid Amazon have enthusiastically recommended Better World Books.

7 Likes

If your gift-receivers like chocolate, and are geeks, I can recommend Fear’s Confections. They have Star Wars and Doctor Who shaped chocolates, and they ship nationwide (US).

I can testify their chocolate sponge candy and bacon-stout brownie are wonderful.

7 Likes

I’ve only ordered a few books from them but i’ve had no problems and they’re great for finding those obscure ex-library reference books you may need. I use them precisely because they’re not Amazon; i used to use the Book Depository exclusively until Bezos got his claws into them. Whether they walk the talk i couldn’t say but being acquired by a not for profit organisation that’s affiliated with the Internet Archive sounds pretty damn good to me.

9 Likes

Toys for kids of all ages:

9 Likes

I like to support my fellow RISD survivors via RISDmade:

The stuff leans toward jewelry and ceramics and often on the pricey side, but it’s handmade and doesn’t feed Jeff Bezos’ bank account.

9 Likes

Great fish! Great company! Plus, odd offerings!

7 Likes

I was eyeing a couple of Peanuts collections and I too will not order from Amazon any more. I thought to check Fantagraphics to see if I could order directly from the publisher, and I could! Same price, cheap shipping, I ordered them Monday and had them Friday. So might be worth checking individual publishers’ sites.

7 Likes

Radical!

12 Likes

Just a wish with this one, as in, I wish I knew where to buy it!

10 Likes

That’s awesome! It would be great for a baby’s first Christmas ornament!

5 Likes

It’s a long way from Juneau, AK to FL Keys, these guys have some pretty cool, organic goods using locally-harvested kelp. The Bullwhip Hot Sauce is really good, kelp and piri piri peppers. great on grits! lots more here:

8 Likes

I’ve ordered books (used and new) from Powell’s with great success and service.

Etsy has a Zine category that is pretty fun to browse:

9 Likes

MICHELANGELO, THE TEMPTATION OF THE FAT CAT

9 Likes

Nowhere Bookshop - Opened by The Bloggess and she’s got fun finds (plus a virtual book club).

Don’t forget the gift of music; directly from the artist or through Bandcamp

Adorama and B&H can supply electronics (and used/refurb stuff) easily (except on Sunday, heh)

I’ve been buying interesting stuff from Etsy (recent examples: secret world rings and wild resin pen blanks). I try to avoid reseller types, and you need to pay close attention to delivery fees, where it’s coming from, and timing (if a gift).

I have to admit I still get more from Amaz*n than I’d prefer, but I’m trying to consciously cut back.

9 Likes

10 Likes

:thinking:

6 Likes