Amateur gold digger finds $160,000 nugget

That might be one step but there’d be a lot left behind. Think how much water a knitted sweater can hold, even when it’s well above the melting point of water.

“Just”? You go do those two things and let me know how easy it is. Then get out the nitric acid and mercury to finish the job and tell me how easy that is.

You can grind it down and use a pan to extract gold (not all of it but a fair percentage).

But apparently finds like this are worth more as a single piece.

I thought gold was worth more? It feel like 6lbs of gold should be at least a million. (This is prolly why I am not rich.)

That was actually my first thought too! When I read the headline I did the math though, and with gold at (as of this writing) US$1972 an ounce, 96 ounces is about $190,000. Somehow I thought it would be more. It sounds like a lot of gold.

This misperception might be partly down to how dense gold is. It’s shockingly heavy even in small amounts, so what sounds like it would be a large volume actually isn’t.

The giant thing the guy is holding in the photo is, of course 90% worthless rock. So it looking huge in the photo isn’t helping our perception either.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.