A robot found the "holy grail of shipwrecks" containing billions of dollars in cargo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/23/a-robot-found-the-holy-grail.html

7 Likes

OK, I read the headline as Robot found in the “holy grail of shipwrecks” containing billions of dollars in cargo, and was very intrigued.

I thought it was going to be like the antikythera mechanism but more advanced.

Good story though, just not the one I was expecting to read :smiley:

7 Likes

I think I saw that Remus robot in a movie before…

1 Like

Man growing up looking at pictures from ship wrecks in National Geographic, it was always a dream to find something like this.

5 Likes

Do you know the way to San Jose?

4 Likes

Vat’s noffing! Why, when oi was a lad…

1 Like

Could be a nice payday for someone…

3 Likes

I don’t suppose any of the indigenous peoples of Central and South America, from whom this “treasure” was originally looted, will be getting much of it back. Just a guess.

11 Likes

I’ve been obsessed with the jewelry found in the wreck of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha since National Geographic published the photos. As a kid, fondling the issue the way other kids obsessed over naked boobies, I decided to figure out how to make my own copies of them, because I knew I’d never be able to own the real thing. As an adult, I now look at museum displays and think, “I want that. I’m going to copy that for myself.” I’m currently making fake plant fossils for my bathroom walls out of stucco…

Years go by, and I’m watching a ‘true crime’ TV show that claimed Mel Fisher sold more shipwrecked coins than were ever recorded in the original manifest…

4 Likes

Mario does:

5 Likes

Read this in the BoingBoing newsletter. I was confused for more than a second.

33%20PM

4 Likes

You would have thought by now treasure hunters would know to make a deal with local government BEFORE they go treasure hunting!

2 Likes

According to Jacques Costeau’s book Silent World (which admittedly was published way back in 1953), they’ll be lucky to have anything left after the salvage costs, taxes and repatriation.

3 Likes

“The Colombian government will build a museum to display and protect the wreckage and its cargo.”

Billions of dollars in gold, silver and emeralds are going on display?

2 Likes

Like this?

Full disclosure: Sphere (the movie) was a disappointment; ditto Sphere (the novel).

Update: I can’t lie to you – by “disappointment”, I mean “major stink-dog waste of time.”

3 Likes

I hear that Nic Cage has already been hired for the inevitable heist.

3 Likes

So, a “Robot” found the wreck. It wasn’t a bunch of people who spent years researching the historical information and then spent months using different tools like side-scan sonar to narrow down potential sites & then a ROV preprogrammed to perform certain search patterns, no it was a “Robot” that found the wreck all by itself.

Because Robots are magical…

6 Likes

Just imagine what they get up to when we aren’t looking.
Probably finding the actual holy grail.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.