Tourists discover 20 kilos of cocaine in waves on South Carolina beach

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/10/tourists-discover-20-kilos-of.html

Authorities say haul worth $600,000 or more

1 Like

Whenever I read stories like this I think “there must be lots of times when this happens and the finders don’t turn in the goods to the cops, we just never hear about them for obvious reasons.”

20 Likes

19 Likes

They turned it in?! facepalm

That’s a shit ton of gear!

6 Likes

Correction:
Tourists discover 19 kilos of cocaine in waves on South Carolina beach

24 Likes

It’s the bales of cash you never hear about. For obvious reasons.

12 Likes

I know, right? What is anybody going to do with 20 kilos of any drug? You have to enter the black market to try to sell it and fuck that, I am not going to prison for some stupid slip up because I was trying to get rich fencing a pile of blow. If they can catch that guy selling drugs on SilkRoad, they can easily catch my dumb ass.

…Cash, on the other hand… bury that shit, tell no one, and use it to finance a steady, perfect lifestyle for decades. That one’s easy.

10 Likes

But was it flotsam or jetsam?

14 Likes

Thank you Box!

4 Likes

Box: "It’s my job!"

4 Likes

I mean it’s pretty amazing to recover 15 kilos of coke from the beach…

18 Likes

South Carolina is a helluva state.

2 Likes

The islands around ACE Basin are the closest the east coast gets to the gulf stream.
051ddebb464d3a1156031d981df85a01

4 Likes

during a peaceful stroll

Why not just come out and say what you’re implying: “During a peaceful stroll, during which they were definitely not looking for cocaine that had washed up on the beach…”

3 Likes

I once met someone who claimed that his antiques business was started using cash from selling hashish that he’d found washed up on the west coast of Scotland. The antiques business was real, but it does sound an awful lot like an Iain Banks plotline.

Also:

8 Likes

I started my successful cocaine business by selling an antiques shop I found washed up on the shore.

In other news; Authorities continue to lose the War on Drugs.

13 Likes

“Local authorities continue to question the family, after noticing one area of the bundle had different colored tape then the rest of the bundle”.

3 Likes

Sometimes you’ve just got to make a line in the sand

13 Likes

Can here to make a joke about finding 19kg of cocaine on the beach. But the ad that popped up when I clicked on the article made a much better joke for me:

One weird trick indeed!

Also, kudos to @hecep for the Box joke, that’s the thread winner to me.

11 Likes

"I know, right? What is anybody going to do with 20 kilos of any drug? "

hell of a weekend…

6 Likes