Amazing demo gets 1000 colors out of 4-color CGA PC card from 1981

I don’t know anything about the IIGS, but I would guess that those high-color, high-resolution, full-screen images required an enormous amount of memory to store and clock cycles to display, and were not practical for regular in-game use.

It’s also possible that most designers weren’t really hacking on the IIGS and just feel back on slightly-improved versions of Apple II techniques. I dunno. Could be a combination of both.

Transcription of some of the frames (for those with bad eyes)
0:37 8088 MPH
0:43 Welcome to 4.77 MHz. Welcome to CGA. What’s a bitplane?
1:19 And now I see with eyes serene, the very heart of the machine
1:31 “intel inside”
1:50. No Copper. No VIC-II. What are we supposed to do?
2:00 CGA has ugly colors
2:05 With hacks, 16 at best.
2:10 Until now!
2:14 1K Colors on an '81 IBM CGA
2:24 Dots are my favours… Except when they’re saviors.
2:48 Sprites? Where we’re going, we don’t need sprites.
3:29 You may want to close your eyes for this.
4:24 Race the beam. On your mark. Get set, go!.
5:11 If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 8088 miles per hour, you’re going to see some serious !?
6:14 And now we must bid you farewell. No Paula… No SID… No Problem.

4 Likes

Awesome. Or, should I say…

[SIZE=+2] [COLOR=green] || [COLOR=red] [&#931] [/COLOR] !!

You need to be from the 70’s to read them.

oh … wow… that’s a blast from the past. My uncle had that game and loved to play it. It came on a 1.44" disk that did not have a DOS filesystem, so was not able to be viewed under dos or windows.

Of course, I remember the game, but forgot it’s exact name — what was it? is it available online anywehre?

The game’s a classic.

Sid Meier’s Pirates

I’m sure watching this demo was fun for you rich guys with the fancy color monitors, but for me, it just wasn’t that impressive in amber :cry:

1 Like

I think the Apple version is the DOS version running in DOSBox.

As a kid who was utterly blown away by the Second Reality demo the first time I say it (94 or so), I absolutely love this. I read the whole breakdown, even though at least half of it was over my head. I have nothing but respect for these guys who work literal magic (to me) on incredibly limited hardware.

1 Like

The comments are a little strange…

On Nintendo, this was a fantastic game. However, the port to PC has left it with nearly unusable controls, especially when dueling other ship captains. If you enjoyed dueling on the Nintendo version, you will be completely let down when you are left with the unresponsive numpad controls for this version.

Guys. It’s not a nintendo game. It’s not a sega game. It began as a C64 game, and was ported from there. If Sega or Nintendo introduced new gameplay, that doesn’t mean that the DOS version is less than definitive.

The Sega version looks very different.

You n00bs just can’t read the text cause you’re not 1337. This demo makes me want to pirate something.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.