Amazing stories about excessive wealth and privilege, inspired by White Lotus

Anything about the remote, private islands in Indonesia where they hunt humans for sport? Looking at you Don, Jr.

1 Like

Of course. Once you have $20-million-plus in the bank, though, that window is on a whole other house.

3 Likes

I have said more than once that money is a “personality enhancer”. You can be rich or you can be poor but an asshole is always an asshole. Wealth just enhances it to extreme.

Most of the super wealthy earn their money the old fashioned way…they inherited it.

5 Likes

Opinion from a working poor WOC in America:

I hated the first season of White Lotus.

Rich White people with unearned privilege treat regular people like shit, break laws and then get away with it unscathed; that’s not an interesting narrative - it’s just a glossy-ass reflection of our current reality.

And no, I don’t think that ‘it sends a message’, or forces such people to ‘take a long hard look at themselves;’ there’s no shame or self awareness to them, period.

20 Likes

I was wondering about this series, so thanks for confirming what I thought it would be like… I don’t need a show about that, I can just read the news!

9 Likes

Lots of other people I know seemed to have really enjoyed it.

It had a kernel of potential, IMO; but with no well earned comeuppance and no moments of catharsis, it fell flat for me.

‘Rich White people always win, no matter how despicable they are’ isn’t a message that I need to hear.

18 Likes

I have a neighbour who has operated a very high end tour guide company for the last 40 years. A story he told me about 5 years ago was about a billionaire movie person whose name we all know.

Their family was in town for a few days. They wanted to go up to a place called Princess Louisa Inlet and spend a couple of nights. My neighbour arranged for a luxury yacht/sailboat to go up there, complete with crew and catering. The plan was for the family to helicopter up and spend a couple of days. Total bill was about $180k.

On the morning of the planned excursion my neighbour got a call that they ‘weren’t feeling like going out today’ and so they cancelled the trip. The boat was in place, the caterers were cooking on site, the crew was ready, the chopper fuelled. They still had to pay, $180,000 to not bother going.

The story so maddened me it turned me off the movie guy’s product altogether, though it was a huge part of my childhood. I imagine that the crew and caterers had a party on a luxury yacht, at least I hope so.

6 Likes

One of my jobs has me interact with very very wealthy people. Stories ring true. I’ve had to spend $100k+ to have a picture from a favorite artist purchased, shipped, and put up so that when they opened a door (this isn’t at their home, btw) the picture would be in their eyeline.

1 Like

One thing that is true, though, is having that kind of money can make you very suspicious of people and that can cause people to come off as bristly. When every new relationship has to be filtered through “is this guy trying to get into my pockets?” there’s going to be some wariness.

That said, the one guy in my high school who went on to make several hundred million bucks (at least!) was not someone I got on with but turned out to be a lovely guy.

It really ruined my social life when I became a billionaire.

Cry for me everyone!

12 Likes

13 Likes

Eh - If you sell your mother; you can buy another.

6 Likes

Money isn’t a guarantee of happiness but financial security is a pretty important factor in creating the conditions for happiness to thrive.

Then at a certain point you run into diminishing returns.

12 Likes

Moms… a dime a dozen for the rich and powerful!

4 Likes

Yeah. Someone can be pretty well off and not flaunt it and maintain more authentic human relationships if they decide to. If they’re having to be suspicious of any new interaction, makes me think they are openly flaunting their wealth. That’s a choice, a decision they’ve made. No sympathy here.

5 Likes

so… george lucas?

1 Like

indeed, money cant buy happiness. But it sure as hell can buy everything else you need for it.

Worse are the people who love saying the word ‘no’ but can’t handle hearing the word themselves. The Former Guy is a perfect example.

1 Like

I don’t want to put a name on it for fear of impacting my neighbour’s livelihood, as he is a decent fellow. So no.

2 Likes

I think that is one reason you see a lot of ‘rags to riches’ types have an entourage that consists mostly of people they knew ‘before’.

I’m not likely to win the lottery (because I don’t buy tickets), but I suspect that suddenly becoming the wealthiest person in my town would increase my popularity a lot. People would laugh at my jokes even if they weren’t funny. Coming from a relatively poor background I’d find that suspicious and probably try to keep any wealth private.

If I grew up wealthy I might just have the impression that I’m a very funny person because everyone laughs at my jokes.

4 Likes