Amazing video demonstrates levels of light pollution

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/31/amazing-video-demonstrates-lev.html

5 Likes

great don’t know who posted it but the link to the article is a 404…
@beschizza what b0rk3d?
ETA ahh it was a bit early.

proper link to BBS post and comments above

1 Like

That was beautiful, and, as an astrogeek, I’m probably going to have that on loop for the next hour…

Thank you.

5 Likes

And I did!

Because I was having difficulty identifying the constellations, especially that trio of bright stars that are the focus of the latter half of the video. so out of practice. :blush:

In case anyone’s wondering, Sagittarius is the focus for the first several pieces (you can see the Teapot quite easily in the early segments), and then, once the Milky Way comes into view, the main focus shifts to the area of the Milky Way between Scorpio (the trio of stars that I didn’t recognize :blush:) and Sagittarius (to the left of the Milky Way).

3 Likes

I’d love to watch it. WTH are we even talking about? The link to the blog is still broken.

Show Full Post, above, gives link to vimeo.

The video is beautiful! It is a good reminder of how much we’re missing.

I envy, but do not share, Mr. Murali’s optimism about how if we all could just see the stars again we’d magically be “more thoughtful, inquisitive, empathetic, kind and caring… advanced… noble and adventurous.”

5 Likes

The link works now but show full post appears to be b0rk3d.

Light pollution, eh?

The ultimate First World Problem…

Did you see all those UFOs?

1 Like

I can only talk about myself and for me the opposite is true: when I worked in $SwabianDullsville I saw stars and hated everything and everyone

4 Likes

Why did they put all those lights up there? We don’t have those where I’m from.

1 Like

As someone who is often a pedestrian, and who lived in San Diego (a city that has limited street lighting even in much of the city limits in part due to local observatories) I’m not all that sympathetic to complaints of “light pollution” – it’s absurd for pedestrians in a city to need a flashlight to walk around at night to even be able to see the sidewalk.

1 Like

The problem isn’t the light, but the light pollution. There are techniques and lighting designs to allow for illuminating areas without bare bulbs shining up into the sky…

10 Likes

Being a pedestrian is no reason not to care about light pollution.

I am a pedestrian too. I have a nasty strobe sensitivity, so I can’t drive, can no longer bike, and can no longer ride the bus. And can no longer cross at busy intersections, because there are too many flashing turn signals, and the things blind and disorient me, and cause me to stumble, sometimes into the street. And can’t go many places because there’s no way there without going through busy intersections on the way. And must often drop errands, because someone’s set up a strobe battery on the way. I suspect it’s related to my sound sensitivity/hyperacusis.

4 Likes

This x1000.

Light the ground, not the sky.

13 Likes

I think yours is probably the more common opinion, but mine is that there’s no point lighting a whole city when pedestrians have flashlights. It’s much nicer when it’s dark out.

3 Likes

It’s pretty fun to play with the other major source of light pollution: the moon.

Go out into the mountains and park your butt in a field with a crescent moon and marvel at the sky for a couple hours. Then when the moon sets it gets REALLY dark because you can’t see the mountains anymore either and suddenly everyone’s out of their comfort zone and interested in getting back into the car.

5 Likes

Light pollution is one of the many reasons I moved from a big city to the boonies.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.