Prepare thyself for International Dark Sky Week

Originally published at: Prepare thyself for International Dark Sky Week | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Some new city folks [very security minded] just bought the adjacent property, [we are very rural area] they added about 30 - 40 security lights, in respect to other neighbors, most have only one, maybe 2 if you have a barn. This kind of over-kill with electric lights drastically reduces the visibility of the night sky / stars. Moral of the story is the USA has far too much electric lighting at night encroaching on the night sky / stars.

10 Likes

We’re making progress, but have a lot of work to do.

3 Likes

I recall a conversation I had with an astronomy professor years ago, telling me about a visit he once had to the Paranal Observatory. It was so dark and so clear, he said you could see the stars all the way down to the horizon in every direction and that you could literally see stars popping up over the horizon to the east and blinking out as they dropped down in the west. Said it was almost like being able to feel the planet rotating!!

5 Likes

Generally, rural Ireland is pretty dark but there is a dedicated dark sky area in Kerry…

5 Likes

The dark skies are what I miss the most about home (Mayo). Since moving to the Chicago area I can see maybe about 100 stars through the light pollution.

4 Likes

I recall a dark cloudy night in Mayo walking back from a pub in Ballycastle (I think). It was so dark I couldn’t see the verge of the road. I was with a group of friends and we couldn’t see each other. We could very literally, see nothing.

We had to puzzle out where we were by feeling along the sides of the road and counting junctions and crossroads. Drunk.

It was a singularly weird experience!

6 Likes

Co. Kerry is on my bucket list for sure… my family came from the Dingle peninsula.

5 Likes

I wonder if the sky above the house I grew up in still gets dark enough to star-gaze. I remember getting up to catch the bus to school at like 6am and it still being dark enough to do so.

4 Likes

Like this, but in real-time.

5 Likes

The Stars are right! Ph’nglui mglw’nafh C’thulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn! :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien:

4 Likes

On a dark night, you can see the warning lights from the wind farm.

4 Likes

If you want to see some satéllites, the Hubble Telescope or the Internacional Space Station:

3 Likes

If you go be sure to bring a good rain jacket. Unless it’s a really nice day, in which case bring sunscreen and a good rain jacket.

3 Likes

Pretty much…except I think the music was a little quieter.

1 Like

THAT is a great website, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

It is very smart and useful. I was able to see the ISS, Hubble and the controversial procession of the Starlink satellites with the forecasts of this site and even making a video of the ISS crossing the skies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.