Amazon Alexa gone wild

Uh, you seem to have missed the following, which states that they DO record a buffer of words at all times (locally), ahead of the “awake word.”

From the article you say I should have read, but you seem to have stopped reading after the first paragraph:

"Listening to what you say before a wake word is essential to the entire concept of wake words. The process borrows a page from the pre-buffer on many cameras’ burst modes, which capture a few frames before you press the shutter button. This just does it with your voice.

With a camera, the pre-buffer ensures you don’t miss a shot due to a slow shutter finger. In the case of voice assistants, audio pre-recording helps systems handle requests instantly. Without a perked ear for that “Alexa,” “OK Google,” or “Siri,” these assistants would need activation buttons.

In fact, if you’re really freaked out by the concept of something always listening to you in your home, your best bet is a push-button voice assistant. Things like the Amazon Tap, the Alexa remote for Fire TV, or your phone with its “always listening” mode turned off."

Edit: TOLD YOU SO. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Nope, Still wrong. It’s buffered LOCALLY. It’s not saved or transmitted. Buffering for a few seconds may make sense AS I STATED IN MY PRIOR POST. Anything beyond that is pointless, and not being done.

Reread my post then. I never said the buffer was necessarily transmitted, I said it wouldn’t surprise me if someday they turned that on, and it’s allowed by the current EULA (which I didn’t claim to know for sure). shrug I seem to remember you saying that there was no buffer at all, and it only started listening when you said the word. I said no, I bet it buffers a few moments (locally) and so when you say the word, it’s ready to go more quickly. Which is exactly what the article seems to confirm. Again… shrug

Well, the “Tuca Tuca” I posted above was a pretty big song (at least in Italy), and there is a popular cartoon (in India, but also popular in the Indian community worldwide) called “Eena Meena Deeka,” after the superhit of the same name:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.