Amazon Alexa turned me into a prepper

… and I thought potato-based “tea” is the most favorite drink.

2 Likes

Awesome post.

I take my tea with milk and sugar. For long term milk and sugar storage I’d go with condensed milk.

I store dry goods in Ball jars. The screw down lots keeps stuff out.

In not really trying to stockpile, it just happens. Amazon subscribe and save is too aggressive :slight_smile:

1 Like

And from there, into coat-hangers, bicycles, shopping carts and then into suburban malls.

Thanks for this.

I am not trying to stockpile either (living in 800 square feet compels constant heavy edits of material objects). Frugality here sometimes does end up looking like a stockpile though.

I wonder what Google Analytics shows re: consumer purchasing volume after Alexa’s launch(es). Seems such a super-aggressive way to inject cash flow into our or the world’s economy…

As long as you’re stockpiling, stockpile good tea.* Here are a few budget-friendly sources:

Yunnan Sourcing. Black, green, white, oolong, and pu-er, all cultivated in Yunnan or Anxi. I’ve ordered from them several times. Their black and white teas are great; their green teas mostly just good with a few standouts.

Lochan Tea. Indian teas like Assam and Darjeeling. Mostly black, a few greens and whites. They don’t offer the best of India but it’s still far higher quality than anything you’ll find at the grocery. If you’re someone who drinks Assam by the liter then you will love their prices, which are lower than any other vendor of such teas.

Klasek Tea. A step up from Lochan in quality and yes, price. To my tastes, it’s worth it. Mostly Darjeeling and Assam but they’ve started to expand their selection with Chinese and Japanese teas. Don’t miss the unique, handmade teaware which is often surprisingly affordable.

Thés du Japon. I have ordered from several Japan-based tea vendors over the years but none have consistently delighted me as much as TdJ. Their curation of Japanese teas is impeccable yet their prices are competitive with other such tea vendors. If you’re looking to get into Japanese tea, I can’t think of a better place to start.

*Edit: I take that back. Don’t stockpile tea for more than a year. (Two years is OK for most black and pu-er teas. Most.)

3 Likes

Wow,Yunnan Sourcing is terrifying. I used to be hooked on Ti Kuan Yin Oolong, and bought it in tins in Chinatown. I’ve been drinking mostly “Tetley British Blend”. Yeah, I know, but it’s one of the better cheap supermarket products. So, I clicked on a random listing on that site that said "from $5, and it was $500/kg!! $5 was for 7g. I’m never awake enough when I drink my tea to warrant stuff that precious!

Interesting fun fact about Oolong: if you pour strong oolong over ice it turns cloudy!

1 Like

YS has a long tail of more pricey offerings but the bulk of their inventory is very affordable. Their traditional process Dian Hong, for example, is 9USD per 100 grams, which is pretty typical of their tea pricing.

But that’s still pretty pricey for non tea geeks. I don’t drink $5 Starbucks or buy booze that’s $40 a bottle either, I guess I’m just a cheapass about the stuff I drink daily.

1 Like

I don;t use Alexa as it has all the security features of a screen door and little of the utility.

But Amazon does send out order confirmation emails for this stuff does it not? If you don’t check what your servants do when you give orders, the fault lies at the top.

Is there not a way to ask Alexa to repeat back the order or does “she” not do so when placing the order for you as a part of any sane routine for this stuff? Even lazy waiters in cheap diners will read back your order.

One wonders at the surprises people also get with a “Dash” button in a house with kids…"presspresspresspress’ then “Mommy, sixteen UPS trucks just showed up, where you do keep the forklift?”

There is such stereotype, but for younger generations in Poland it’s far from truth. For example at weddings, consumption of alcohol(mostly vodka) has reduced drastically in last 20 years. At parties typically(but not always) beer, wine or whiskey is preferred.

I bought my Echo Dot a Google Home mini… I think ( in a dream? ) I heard them plotting last night.

1 Like

I was in Estonia a few years ago (8 or 9, can’t remember) and invited to some kind of family get-together of a work colleague. At the start of the meal I was surprised that most of them were drinking water out of such large glasses - until I got mine and noticed it wasn’t water…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.