Amazon just bought mesh wifi company Eero. Oh, great.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/12/resistance-is-futile.html

3 Likes

Soon Amazon will be delivering crap, like in less than 24 hours to your door. Be afraid, be very afeared.

A few months ago I bought a Orbi system from Netgear based on the Wirecutter review and so far it’s fantastic. I got the base station plus one satellite and it was under $400.

Podcaster and software developer Marco Arment has recently been recommending Ubiquity hardware. I don’t know if they have a mesh-type system like Eero, but I would trust his recommendations.

1 Like

GOD DAMMIT!

AAAAAAAAARGH!

Grrrrrr

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?

4 Likes

I also have an eero system and it has been great.

I am concerned that Amazon will put microphones in the new equipment to “enhance” the product. I am also concered that they will monitor my traffic so they can send me “better” ads.

II am glad I have the equipment already and fear that eero will go downhill in terms of their hardware and support.

I’m glad my house is wired for Cat5 and we have a DIY linux based router and Ubiquiti enterprise level Wifi. We have far less companies snagging up my traffic data.

4 Likes

What’s with the blackface artwork illustrating the article? Is 2019 supposed to be theyear of smirking references to racist imagery?

3 Likes

I have to say I have really liked my Orbi so far too. It solved all my issues with the wireless in my house, and now my speed only slows through ISP bullshit and not from my own poor set-up.

giphy

3 Likes

Agreed. I have the whole house wired and a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter for my router and three Netgear Blackhawk R7000s as access points scattered around the house to give me full coverage. I keep considering setting up pfSense as a router but never get quite around to it.

3 Likes

I’ve shared this Elsewhere, but I took a similar approach to these:

I’m running pfSense on similar hardware, which is a nice compromise between speed, utility, and ease-of-use. It’s been pretty low maintenance, as long as I remember to backup my configuration regularly.

For WiFi, I’m using a Ubiquiti AP which does a pretty good job of covering the entire house. Ubiquiti does make a mesh system, under their Amplifi sub-brand. Troy Hunt also recommends Unifi gear, although his situation is far more extreme than mine.

3 Likes

Would never have crossed my mind except the article is right next to the katy perry shoes picture, so then all i was going to see is blackface vampire, justified or not.

Unfortunate, unintentional side by side placement to be sure.

I have one of Ubiquiti’s EdgeRouters and one of the APs at home, and it’s a nice, solid system. I found that a single AP was more than sufficient at my house, at least for 2.4 GHz. For whole-house 5 GHz coverage, I’d need a second AP.

The only thing I’d ding it for is that the EdgeRouter doesn’t hook in to the UniFi controller I run in a VM, but that’s not a big enough deal to me to really matter.

3 Likes

This:

Isn’t blackface. It’s not even truly “black.”

Cut it out.

6 Likes

ab-fab-mock-crying

4 Likes

You’ve got to learn to embrace and love Amazon, Google and Facebook.
Just like Winston Smith learned to embrace and love Big Brother.

1 Like

I’m full on nuts and have a full on 32 Gig machine with a core I7 for my “Router” which is running as an ESXI server with several virtual servers. One of them is a ubuntu vm that’s the router just using iptables and another linux box to run the ubiquiti wifi hotspots it also makes a guest network that permanently goes out a vpn provider by default and can’t reach the internal network. We have monthly house parties so it’s nice to have WIFI they can use that goes out a trusted vpn provider in case a guest has a laptop torrenting crap from HBO. There is also at least windows box on there for various gaming servers for roommates and a file server.

I also upgraded the internet to gigabit service as we take our internet seriously in this house.

I’d feel bad about the power usage but we went solar and are actually putting more power in than we use which is actually amazing given the 24/7 computers we run.

This is probably overkill for most anybody else. Still, Homebrew is a much better idea even for normal people as commodity routers are downright horrible with wide open security problems.

3 Likes

Ubiquity gear is great. It has more of a learning curve, but they constantly update their software and there are tons of knobs for tweaking stuff. I live in a row of townhouses that are difficult from a spectrum point of view and handoff between APs has been flawless.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.