Amazon's new headquarters look like sh*t

Oh we hate it because it’s Amazon. Which essentially is the modern day babylon.

5 Likes

They should have gone Brutalist. Would have been more fitting.

8 Likes

In the before times I worked in a commercial warehouse converted to a cube farm. Many, dare I say most office workers hail from similar environments like rectangular, mostly empty commercial office buildings.

While this plan and other recent corporate extravagance (looking at you Dubai) certainly is reminiscent of the pyramid vanity projects of ancient Egypt, at least this project incorporates functional workspaces in that include indoor and outdoor garden environments.

P.S. Please continue to (rightfully and justly) call out Amazon for its corporate greed and malfeasance.

5 Likes

If I’m being honest, it doesn’t look like the poop emoji.

It looks like a buttplug.

5 Likes

Perfect shape to house the rocket to escape into orbit.

5 Likes

"We’re doing a lot on the site to connect people to nature, said lead architect and NBBJ principal, Dale Alberda, adding that the design aims to symbolize both nature1 and science2.

1: No, you’re making a fancy hamster cage. That isn’t nature: there’s no room for an emergent ecosystem. It’s a luxury garden whose primary purpose is “nice working spaces”. Just because you included some plants doesn’t make it “nature”. It’s greenery as aesthetics. It’s a nice change of pace from parking lot-dominated office parks, but let’s not pretend it’s nature.

2: This doesn’t symbolize science in any way. This is why architects aren’t any fun at parties.

8 Likes

Wow, Bezos must hate it, too.

5 Likes

Is it better or worse than this, my personal favorite worst building:

5 Likes

That definitely has a stronger “evil lair” vibe to it. The CEO’s office definitely fills that semicircle in the top center and he’s 100% a corporate raider.

The only thing missing is black smoke poring out of the top of those two columns.

5 Likes

Well, it’s a certain type of CEO but not your usual business. Also, you’re onto something with the “raider” part, just a bit more political than you intended.

(In case I’m too obtuse - that’s the headquarters of MI6)

5 Likes

I knew that was a building that featured prominently in a James Bond movie.

8 Likes

Looks nice enough to me.

Though with all the openness and clear glass it seems like it’d be heck if you want to go find some DARKNESS to work in.

2 Likes

I actually like it. Main concern is whether the practicality of it works out. Maintenance and long-term sustainability would be my biggest concerns.

2 Likes

We will screw you - you’re welcome.

I always kinda liked river house. It’s oddly disconcerting, the longer you look at it.

It’s not as bad as the Asahi Building in the Asakusa District of Tokyo. (It’s supposed to resemble either a golden flame or a beer mug being filled from a tap. There is some debate about that.)

5 Likes

Heading south on Vauxhall Bridge is not a great view, the squat frowning blocks to the south west are not attractive either.

4 Likes

These buildings wouldn’t pass muster on an adolescent’s Minecraft server.

And what’s the affectation with the color green? It’s like the architect kept saying “Yeah! More Green!” (in addition to saying “Yeah! More Soviet Wedding Cake!” and “Yeah! More Axial Symmetry!”)

2 Likes

Whoa, having a bad day Mark? What happened to the “directory of (mostly) wonderful things”? Jeff’s not my best buddy, but there’s enough snark in the world. As others have said, I rather like it. For me, it fits into a certain niche of wonderful.

2 Likes

Hate would seem to be a gut response for many when it comes to architecture and design… a very easy target for those wanting to vent their spleen.

Will always reed the comments here as more often than not there will be some idea that makes me think and make me happy.

The hate is generally what it is, circling back on itself, reaffirmation of a ‘particular’ world view that is as multiple as the haters.

2 Likes