Amazon's new headquarters look like sh*t

Originally published at: Amazon's new headquarters look like sh*t | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I didn’t know that Bad Dragon got into the architecture game

9 Likes

Reminds me of the RLDS temple in Independence, MO.

15 Likes

Actual Tower of Babel. Fitting.

14 Likes

It matches his eyes, oddly enough…

giphy-1

13 Likes

Yep, that’s some damn ugly architecture.

6 Likes

I love ‘green’ buildings like this which inevitably take an enormous amount of resources to put trees on top of the structure. Some grass and shrubs maybe, but trees? That’s a non-trivial effort. And think of the upkeep. Can this building persist for more than 40 years without major work? Goes without saying, the money would be better spent on building a simple, efficient structure, and using the left-over to help sustain pre-existing ecosystems… Otherwise it’s just engineering a ‘green’ vanity project.

14 Likes

Ca-ca-zon!

It ain’t purty.

4 Likes

screaming

5 Likes

Could work as a motto/fight song for Amazon: “Spiral city architect… I build — you pay!” (lyrics: Spiral Architect; Black Sabbath)

2 Likes

Yup. That should pretty much offset the greenhouse gasses from all the Amazon delivery trucks and semis.

4 Likes

Y’all weird, it’s a nice change from the prevailing big-box design.

18 Likes

Looks like a soft-serve ice cream to me.

5 Likes

Y’know, looking at it more, I agree. Its a nice shape, and a modern design, and it incorporates green space. Id take it over lots of other modern designs.

11 Likes

oh c’mon –– looks like shit? really?

I suppose you’d be happier if it had “mah-bull” columns.

6 Likes

I like the idea that there is a spiral staircase that goes all the way up the building. That would be some good exercise if you work on the 20th floor.

3 Likes

I’ve only seen the one picture, but I don’t understand the hate. :thinking:

Much better than any of the 'ol “rectangular towers” that architects still “design”.

9 Likes

Nobody:

Bezos: with my new lair upgraded with habitrail technology, my empire will reign supreme!

4 Likes

Exactly my first thought. But as with all things helix there’s handedness. The amazon headquarters is depicted a left-handed (…hmm, thinks this southpaw). Here’s the usual right-handed Turm von Babylon

11 Likes

Reminds me.

I saw a tower go up in Seattle over the last couple of years, and now the penthouse deck has a 50’ western red cedar planted up there.

The poor thing is going to suffer multiple lightning strikes.

7 Likes