America is not "polarized": it's a land where a small minority tyrannize the supermajority

Speaking of charity, I’d like to point out that BB&T got a TARP bailout.

I’ve never read anything by Rand and I don’t really plan to do so. The exception might be Anthem which a Rand fan gave me as a gift (and which seems incredibly ironic). I’ve heard (possibly here) that Anthem might be the one worthwhile book by the author. But I have a couple of boxes of other books I’d prefer to read first, and as it’s taken me several weeks to get through a mere 46 pages of The Continental Op, I might get to Anthem when I’m a nonogenarian.

But how can I be so dismissive of Ayn Rand when I’ve never read her books? Shouldn’t I keep an open mind? About twenty years ago a young person approached me in a parking lot and asked me a few questions, the last of which was “do you consider yourself to be open-minded?” I answered “yes” and he launched into a spiel about Krishna consciousness. I concluded that the answer to “do I consider myself open-minded,” at least the brief answer to strangers who want to know about my business, is “No. No, I am pretty much set in my ways.” I’ve never eaten a shit sandwich, either.

9 Likes