American kids watched so much Peppa Pig during the pandemic they now have British accents

Originally published at: American kids watched so much Peppa Pig during the pandemic they now have British accents | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Pepper Pig: Imperialist Gangster :joy:

Hopefully the producers of the show will lean in to this teaching effect and have Pepper get heavily involved with BLM, Defund the Police, and Trans Rights.

23 Likes

Their eyes are migrating to one side of their face too

19 Likes

Well, that’s just evolution having it’s way with all of us as we spent the pandemic lying hopeless on our sides on the sofa like flounder.

16 Likes
21 Likes

Bloody well right.

10 Likes

Faberoo!

6 Likes

This has been the reality of all Spanish-speaking Latin america since most foreign (mostly American) media was dubbed in Mexico. A strange kind of “normalized Latino Spanish” is usually used in this case, which is not really used anywhere, but it is not too unusual for a more regional or local term to sneak in. It’s weird how we non-Mexican Latinos have been simultaneously introduced to two foreign cultures, the one of the original media and the one of the dubbing country.

More recently I’ve heard quite a few anecdotes of small children speaking to each other or to their parents in a Mexican accent, where e.g. Peppa Pig and countless other shows aimed at them are dubbed. It is really eeire, I find it both fascinating and unsettling how they can pick up and assimilate a foreign accent so easily. It reminds me how kids really are sponges, and how we must be extra mindful of what they may soak up.

20 Likes

Are “please” and “thank you” not a thing in Boston?

19 Likes

Same thing happened in our house except it started with Taskmaster.

9 Likes

It’s a very noticeable phenomenon in the Nordic countries where English as a second (or third) language is almost universal. People older than about 40 speak English with a British inflection because of the influence of the BBC; whilst younger people have a strong American twang - some parts of Reykjavík sound like California when the local teenagers are out in force.

20 Likes

Evil Peppa has form - it’s not that long since she was encouraging Australian children that spiders were safe:

14 Likes

Revenge!

20 Likes

Before I had kids I was extremely skeptical of Peppa Pig based on its reputation. But having watched some of it (and, yes, noticed that my kid started asking questions with a downward inflection at the end), I have to say I’m a fan. It’s incredibly self-aware and any parent who’s paying attention will recognize a kindred spirit in the writers. E.g. the parents’ reactions in the “School Project” episode (1:44 below):

Also, the show stars the voice of BRIAN BLESSED in a recurring role. How can you not love it?

23 Likes

“Professor Henry Brubaker from the Institute for Studies

That all checks out

6 Likes

More kids need to watch Bluey so they can get Aussie accents:

9 Likes

Does this mean we will see “brilliant” being used more often in America?

5 Likes

Crikey

7 Likes

Nothing new here – Doctor Who and Monty Python did this to me in the 70s…

14 Likes

Maybe some of these kids will eventually grow up to become American actors who can actually do decent British accents.

11 Likes