America's life-expectancy income-gap widens precipitously

Improperly labeled, or even unlabeled, charts are not worth much. This is often done deliberately to deceive, but is sometimes laziness on the part of the person who prepared the document.

2 Likes

Right, that’s just one of the reasons that so many innovators in the tech world have been single dudes in their 20s.

7 Likes

Uh, I concur, doctor; I just think those above concerns will be easier/better/on-the-right-path/ ways to get to more and better wealth redistribution in light of real abundance, not imagined scarcity.

2 Likes

Get Rich or Die Tryin’

4 Likes

So really just showing the gap at the right hand side of the chart between each income group. Feel like this could have been conveyed much better. Being poor kills. Our stupid government doesn’t help any. And they just make the poor poorer.

2 Likes

This is one of those things that I just don’t get about conservatives’ embrace of capitalism when it comes to healthcare. When it’s all about extracting every dime possible from consumers, then they conveniently for that dead people don’t buy things. One would think that dumping money into healthcare to keep people alive longer to buy shit would be of utmost importance.

4 Likes

I wonder if they thought to factor in bloody revolution?

Because I see that as a potential leading cause of death among the rich if things continue as they are.

If a class of people contributes blithely to the starvation and homelessness of vast swathes of “lesser” people, those people will look for something to do while awaiting their poor person’s death. Some may decide on retribution.

For once I am happy not to hear you doing something right now. :wink:

4 Likes

That is certainly one aspiration/motivation, but perhaps you mis-typed. Get Rich or Try Dying better depicts the view of many of the wealthy: if you can’t be rich just fuck off and die.

Saddest rainbow ever.

3 Likes

If it costs less & works better why bring nuclear weapons into it? Just take the dollars we dump into the less effective private health care and shovel them into single payer? If some companies/individuals actually pay significantly over what they need to fund single payer they can either save some money, or they can do a UK style private add-on insurance.

(note: I’m not saying single payer doesn’t work, I’m well aware that it works elsewhere, and don’t see anything special about the USA that I think would make it not work here)

I bring up nuclear weapons because every time anyone mentions single pay or healthcare in America, a bunch of idiots run around asking quote but how will we pay for it unquote, a question we never seem to ask about our weapons of destruction or fancy toys for the Pentagon.

1 Like

I’m not doing something right now!

1 Like

One thing that’s special about the USA: we are a nation of assholes.

1 Like

I can’t speak for the original poster, but there are two good reasons to mention an alternative payment source. The first is the politics of it. Someone screams about the cost every time the topic comes up and a snappy answer is sometimes better than getting dragged into the morass of explaining some of the nuances of healthcare economics. The second is that there will be a time period where a single payer system will be more expensive. We won’t have achieved the savings of the new system, while we’re still paying to transition off the old.

In the short term bloody revolution tends to still fall heaviest on the poor. A lot more peasants were killed in the Vendee than royals were executed in the Place de la Revolution.

2 Likes

According to this chart, I’ll be dead in two years. Huh.

I’ll bet they’re not gout-safe, though.

1 Like

I’m doing something very quietly right now!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.