An awesome cast iron dutch oven for camping

Well, since it wasn’t plucked or shaved it was kinda… Stringy. (I can’t believe that epic scar finally healed, I’m pissed)

1 Like

I used to have a livid purple scar on my shin I got from an outcropping while portaging a boat up a cliff. I used to get compliments on that scar, but it only lasted a year.

1 Like

I remember a conversation after high school with a very stunning friend, who complained about a leg scar. I always said, “but it looks Sooo badass”. And this individual eventually just. Owned. It.

Sounds like something fun for a party at the beach with a bonfire. Now I need to get near a coast again.

I live in London, but like the Lodge stuff so much I paid for a couple of the dutch ovens to travel to the UK.

Here’s the conclusion I read:

I do not know that the difference is so magical that anyone needs to run right out and swap from current era Lodge to antique Griswold with a slant-patterned logo. Keeping an eye out for bargain pieces and cleaning them up will result in a collection of superior cookware, however.

I’m not sure how else to interpret antique being “superior” to current-era Lodge, other than to say it is better.

There’s a certain strain of kitchen gadget fetishism that rears its head when you talk about antique cast iron cookery; it’s one thing to admire the craftmanship of the older gear, another to have people insist that you have to have an authentic Griswold or Wagner pan to even think about using cast iron. I bought 10" and 12" Lodge pans from my local supermarket and stripped and reseasoned them and they work fine.

1 Like

you haven’t had grilled cheese 'til you’ve had it from my 120 y.o. Griswold!

1 Like

I wonder about Tina Faye’s scar. She covers it with makeup, but as a small child she was attacked by a madman with a razor.

Tonight we are making peach and berry cobbler in it. It’s also big enough to share with other campers, lots of them.

4 Likes

I’ve seen cobbler recipes using a cake pan made of foil and green sticks

2 Likes

Strawberry, blueberry and peach cobbler, next update in 35 min or so.

Update:

5 Likes

I have one of these but it’s rarely been used. But I just realized I have a jug of expired vegetable oil in the garage that was heading for recycling and I can use it to season the pan.

1 Like

You’re reading in to it, something that isn’t there. He doesn’t say it’s superior to Lodge. He just says you’ll have superior cookware. You get the difference, right? And besides, it’s just one person’s unscientific opinion. So again, we don’t “know” that older cast iron is better. What we do know, is that Lodge is still in business after 119 years, and the others aren’t.

1 Like

I can’t see packing cast iron.

1 Like

Older cast iron is not better. Seasoned cast iron is better and may or may not be older. It is better in the sense of being essentially nonstick without the need for teflon.

1 Like

As I said above, I quite agree.

But I haven’t yet found a good answer to the question: if I pack a fly rod, and would like to fry my catch, in what will I fry it? It seems that everything that does a decent job is Too Heavy.

MSR makes a good laminated stainless steel skillet. And it’s deep enough to have the volume of a good general purpose cook pot. Use an aluminum plate as the lid.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-21611-Alpine-Fry-Pan/dp/B001VQ5D4K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

1 Like

Hmm, that weighs half again as much as my entire cook kit. But I see MSR has an all-aluminium one that might work. 166 g as opposed to 323. Thanks for the pointer.

1 Like

If there is a second person along then it’s easier to justify having an additional sturdy pot rather than cooking in thimbles. Also, this has potential for some Dutch oven style cooking. With a 1 L capacity, it could make a substantial loaf of cornbread.

Also, if you deep fry, you could do that in any thin pan. Or you could poach fish. We chartered a boat for a week on a remote island, speared some fish and discovered the stove was broken. The nearest marina was in Cuba, so that was out. One guy has brought an old MSR multifuel mountaineering stove, and we had diesel fuel for the engine, but he did not have the kerosene jet for the stove (kero and diesel being nearly identical except for tax purposes). However it would burn with a weak flame and we were able to poach our grouper fillets, and we had our fish poached that week.