An easy way to wire your house for Internet: wi-fi power-over-ethernet

You have any evidence for that? Because unless you are using very old or perhaps very pricey audio equipment this is unlikely. And a computer doesn’t give a rats ass about what is on the power line considering it takes that 60Hz wave flips it, smooths it, and chops it up at a couple hundred thousand hertz. Power line communication equipment wouldn’t be any worse on a computer than running off a standard UPS. Also considering the price of switch mode power supplies hardly any modern electronics use actual transformers anymore, which means that 60Hz AC is turning into +250kHz filtered DC.

1 Like

Anyone who thinks this is power over ethernet is in for a big shock.

4 Likes

If you really want to experience what PLE/PLC does to your power, hook up a tube amp and turn up the gain or get a walkie talkie and listen.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that you don’t mix low and high voltage wiring in cable runs. For interference and safety.
There’s a bunch of code stuff out there, but I’m not an electrician.

Has anyone properly checked the specs on that TPLink kit, maybe as well as doing powerline networking and wifi, it also does PoE for devices plugged in via ethernet?
(Have we finished teasing Rob enough yet?)

Personally we just have cat5 running round the edges of doors, and up the stairs, it’s surprisingly neat. (It’s a rented house, so drilling holes was a no-no, even assuming I had a suitably long masonry bit), and of course, full gigabit everywhere :slight_smile:

No, never. Especially not now, because this post is from M. Frauenfelder.

Adding :wink: to be on topic.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.