An LA gallery is selling "Molotov cocktails" from a vending machine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/02/an-la-gallery-is-selling-mol.html

4 Likes

sad trombone for failed edginess.

9 Likes

This is an art object, not functional as a molotov cocktail.

Totally bummed…

12 Likes

Surely in this case the bandana should say BUY THE FIRE

5 Likes

Ha that’s frickin awesome. Well done.

2 Likes

But was it 3Dprinted?

3 Likes

will it have a selection of penants

1 Like

Bah. All the really edgy kids are drinking Ribbentrops these days.

6 Likes

I know art is really subjective… but I really like it.

I think it really speaks to the commercialization of edginess and rebellion. It also points out that the commercialized version is pointless - it is a art piece and no longer functional, a statement that is damning of it’s own.

Rebellion made harmless, packaged, and sold at $5 a pop to people while the world burns…

6 Likes

It would work, if the bottles were really filled with something inflammable that didn’t evaporate quickly.

That would make this art.

1 Like

Shouldn’t it have one of those little racks that usually hold gum and Life Savers at the bottom? You know, for matchboxes and lighters?

6 Likes

Well, he did work as a salesman for Henkell at one point.
You can’t make a Molotov cocktail from sparkling wine, but the bottles can be used as the proverbial blunt instrument.

1 Like

How much you wanna bet that these can easily be converted into functional molotov cocktails, which in a bit of performance art, could be used to vandalize said vending machine.

Is it art? Is it vandalism? Ooh! Lots of deep thoughts about this one!

On the other hand, Alko, Finland’s state-run alcohol monopoly, manufactured purpose-built Molotov Cocktails (as named by the Finns themselves) during the Winter War. I don’t think they sold them from vending machines, though.

1 Like

I was just thinking, I could easily make my own “cocktails” for cheaper than $5 a pop…

1 Like

yes, but what meaning would that have? What statement does that make?

1 Like

2 Likes

BTW original Molotov cocktail recipe is trash ethanol (whatever that is) kerosene, ethanol and tar mixed in half litre Finnish vodka bottle with wind-proof match.

2 Likes

Oh! I saw them putting up this installation the other day. If you’re local, it’s actually on Martel just south of Melrose where the news stand used to be They also put up some neon, if I remember correctly. I’ll post some pics if I end up in the neighborhood in the next day or two.

But what is stopping me from removing the bandana, adding some ethyl alcohol, and fire?

Excuse me, I believe law enforcement is piunding down my door…

3 Likes