An old person's guide to "skibidi" and other Gen Z slang

7 Likes

If you’ve been able to suss all the slang out and not become pericombobulated
I offer you my most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

15 Likes

Remember the Max Headroom TV show? Blipverts. TikTok is the Blipvert Channel. But nobody’s heads are exploding due to it, except when a Rapid Cranial Expansion Challenge starts going viral.

11 Likes

Nice piece. Glad to find @etymologynerd on TikTok. Added!

Love all this slang stuff.

2 Likes

21 Likes

I wonder how they learned to do that :thinking:

15 Likes

Divided by the same language. Like Scotland and England.

7 Likes

My go-to antidote to unfamiliar slang my kids use is to use it myself, in excess, for a few days. My superpower is to suck all the ‘cool’ out of a word entirely with a few minor misuses. I wasn’t even cool when it was cool to say ‘cool’, so I know my powers are strong.

My kids are onto my strategem and so mostly code switch to use regular words with me, so as to protect their secret language for use with their friends.

I’m fascinated with even finer sub-categories of slang, such as the one common among players of a specific sport.

6 Likes

My Gen Z kids say skibidi is for “terminally online ten year olds”.

So not gen Z according to them.

ETA I got side eye and ok boomered.

14 Likes

It would take you 30 minutes at most. You really should. I found it very rewarding and much better than most people give it credit for.

2 Likes

I remember reading this Wired article where they discussed how film shot durations in movies have declined over time.

The average shot length of English language films has declined from about 12 seconds in 1930 to about 2.5 seconds today

Some even attempted to blame it on MTV, but they had been declining before that. It does seem like our attention spans have definitely gotten shorter and require more stimulation.

Source: Data From a Century of Cinema Reveals How Movies Have Evolved | WIRED

6 Likes

Same here, I thought it was about this song.

3 Likes

When our son started saying “my guy” we would respond by singing it like the song “My Girl” by The Temptations. He so hates it.

6 Likes

I know some people who speculate that it started because of coked-up TV and movie executives who lost interest if something went on for too long, so they would only greenlight things with shorter shots.

10 Likes

I think I remember reading that article, too, but I don’t think I ever finished it.

13 Likes

Any help cat can dig that. This new-fangled jazz the kids are rapping though? It’s from hunger.

6 Likes

I heard a tale of a writer who, after the release of Star Wars, was asked to supply the C-Suite with a précis of “The Hero with a Thousand Faces”. After working all night, the writer got the book down from 450 pages to 2. Handing in work, the writer was told it was too long, and needed to be brought down to 1 page.

5 Likes

And finally, the ultimate conclusion,

13 Likes

Well. Kyle McLachlan famously explained the plot of Dune in a singel Tweet.

Back when Tweets were a thing.

4 Likes

… 1913 :older_man:

1 Like