Brief guide to Gen Z lingo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/27/brief-guide-to-gen-z-lingo.html

6 Likes

Confirmed.

1 Like

Scary how my kids talk in memes lately, but at least now I have my Rosetta stone for a stab at translation. Gonna print these out for use at dinner tonight. thx BB! wonderful

4 Likes

Does anyone actually say “okurrrrr!” other than Cardi B and her fans? And that Pepsi commercial.

6 Likes
1 Like

I almost want the YEET shirt at the end of that vid, for then i will confirmed be the old-man weirdo that owns a record store.

7 Likes

My 3 kids are all gen z. not a single one of them or any of their friends speak like this with a couple minor exceptions. “facts.” or the dab with a “yeeet” do happen occasionally.

3 Likes

Someone sent me a link to a Post Malone video the other day, and I got so sad after watching it, because I realized I didn’t understand a damn bit of it even though I could clearly make out every word. I am now too old to understand new music. I suppose I should be grateful I managed to hold out until I was 50.

7 Likes

I hear a YEET (dab) every once in awhile and the “weird flex but okay” thing is def confirmed. Never heard a kid say “okurrrrr” unless they’re quoting Cardi B. Random Fortnite emotes are lingua franca it seems.

5 Likes

Yikes! The minimum character limit here on the BBS is preventing Gen Z’ers from communicating.

I little mad.

9 Likes

That’s a feature, definitely not a bug.

11 Likes

Headline news: Whippersnappers Talk Newfangled!

15 Likes

Tubular.

17 Likes

Man what a lamestain that cob nobbler is in the video, dressed in wack slacks and fuzz! And I suspect the other dude is a big bag of bloatation. If I was swingin’ on the flippity flop at my local bar it’d be a harsh realm if these tom-tom clubs showed up. Rather be bound and hagged!

15 Likes

Considering his accent, I’d guess he’s probably only speaking a Southern U.S. Gen Z patois (assuming this entire video isn’t just an audience-mocking attempt to sell ugly t-shirts).

1 Like

From what i understand it’s typically used more in some gay and trans circles, among some other circles. I’ve only seen it used in an ironic fashion by friends online but don’t think i’ve ever heard anyone use it IRL. I suppose its possible that its usage has expanded since i first encountered it though.

1 Like

Harsh Realm.

2 Likes

I’m trans and I hang out with a lot of gay people. Of course, I don’t think any are gen Z, but I also live in Missouri, so maybe it’s just not a flyover country thing.

3 Likes

This is going to be excellent for embarrassing my eldest.

8 Likes

Same here, but I think we all know what I think about language usage…

2 Likes