Brief guide to Gen Z lingo

I don’t know, actually. I’m generally pretty flexible on language usage. This is just making me feel old. I also joined AARP this week. In for a penny…,

8 Likes

Like totally to the max.

7 Likes

Yeah i don’t think it’s a common thing that’s used, but those are the circles that i have seen it used online at least. And typically ironically.

1 Like

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra; my eyes closed.

24 Likes

“Hey nyall, real gen z here to say: this ain’t it chief.”

This according to my gender-queer, demiboy gen Zer child.

“This ain’t it chief but it’s a mood.”

I need to go lay down now because I have no idea what is going on with this generation.

6 Likes

8 Likes

That’s one I definitely hear. The reaction to anything that causes emotions is either “that’s a mood” or just “MOOD”. It’s the Gen-z version of “feels”.

5 Likes

Entertaining, and only somewhat perplexing to my 51-year-old brain.

I was curious what was coming after Gen Z; would we jump to “A” and double up the digits? Or just keep adding Z’s (aka: the sleepy and sleepier generations)? Or go with “ZA” (aka: the pizza generation)?

So I hit the Google machine and found this hand dandy chart here:

11%20AM

“Alpha”? Really? So we are going to have a generation of Alpha males, Alpha females, Alpha NBs, etc. That’s not going to get confusing. Will “Beta” be next?

It looks like letters weren’t even introduced until my generation; “X”. Before that, they were given interesting names.

“Baby Boomers” is evocative. BOOM! Babies. What’cha gonna do? That’s right. Raise 'em and let them take over the world.

“The Silent Generation” Shush you. Don’t you have Boomer raising you could be doing?

“The Greatest Generation” …Says you and what army?

“The Interbellum Generation” … I have no idea what that even is off the top of my head, but it still sounds more interesting than “X”. Okay, another search, it means “between war”.

It certainly shows our path through history, and how fucked up things have gotten, to the point where we are naming generations after letters.

6 Likes

The child is now doing some weird dance and laughing at us. It looks like some weird, backward Charleston dance.

“frowny face” “No Mom that’s not even the right response! I must yee away now.”

Oh god, he’s playing videos at me now. I have to curl up into a small safe ball now.

8 Likes

I thought was just aight.

2 Likes

I was at Disney World last week and can’t tell you how many kids I saw respond to their parents by doing that dance.
“Want to go on Space Mountain?”
Kid: floss dances excitedly
“Time for lunch, do you want a burger?”
Kid: floss dances “Yeet!”
“Ok, it’s late, time to go home!”
Kid: floss dances angrily while frowning

12 Likes

Groovy.

5 Likes

Wait, that wasn’t just a joke? I feel so old…

3 Likes

Tiburcio can help you with all the cool dances!

10 Likes

Anthony Burgess was right!

tumblr_ndv1x4kXOW1s0t6o2o1_500

11 Likes

I’ve been a lifelong defender of the value of video games. With the rise of Fortnite… that commitment might be slipping.

5 Likes

I thought for sure this was going to be nothing but nonsense made-up slang as a joke, but no, I’ve seen people use these online, so…

2 Likes

Which is the what version of what?

(I am sooo old.)

2 Likes

F.A.B. ?

(that ‘nine characters’ shit again)

3 Likes

My kids are out of the house, unmarried. We got together for a family vacation and I heard them lament for the very first time: “OMG, kids these days!”

Then I saw a 18 mo old in a stroller, taken out by his parents to enjoy the great outdoors. He had a pacifier in his mouth, and was glued to an ipad.:confused:

3 Likes