Comedian pokes fun at Gen-Z life

Originally published at: Comedian pokes fun at Gen-Z life | Boing Boing

As far as I’m concerned, Gen Z gets to enjoy whatever silly and carefree fun they’d like right now. They’re in for a rough future thanks in part to a lot of the adults making fun of them now.

46 Likes

Comedian pokes fun at Gen-Z life

Why?

18 Likes

Right?

Not to mention how this guy is mostly playing up to all sorts of lazy meanness in his apparent audience.

As for his spoof-comment on US football, it’s not ridiculous, it’s spot on.

19 Likes

I don’t get why people get so hurt over fashion changing actually. Hairstyles come and go. Side part is to women my age as Peggy Hill hair was to women my mother’s age. Fashion for people in their 30-40’s is never going to sync up nicely with fashion for people in their teens and early twenties anyway. Why the hell would it?

20 Likes

I’m a Boomer, and I and my Dear Wife have friends of all ages. This sort of comedy, if you can call it that, blames one subset of society for all its ills, and blaming any one part of society for anything is wrong, offensive, and only helps to divide us. We all have much more in common than any one of us can imagine. This shit ain’t funny.

29 Likes

“Generations” are a myth. People are born continuously and nobody agrees on where the alleged dividing lines are.

24 Likes

What a bunch of lazy horse shit. I know the joke around here is for people to be Disappointed, but come on.

14 Likes

Well, it appears that boing boing commenters really are “my people” :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: Generation-WTF

15 Likes

I agree with your whole statement, but this bit is particularly true. I was born in that weird cohort ('77-80ish) that no one ever seems to know how to classify. Too young to be gen-X (sometimes), too old to be a millennial (sometimes). I think we’re elder millennials at this point, but there was that awful time when they called us Xennials.

Kids these days are just trying to make the most of the world, just like they always have. The only time I think it’s okay to rag on them for being who they are is when they won’t stay off my damn lawn (/s)

19 Likes

Kids these days, I tell ya.

baby animals lol GIF by San Diego Zoo

15 Likes

Right. But how do they walk?

5 Likes

Muchly agree. When I first learned about these “gens” boomers were older than me. I grew up with the first generation (sixties) that latched onto computers, BBSing, Usenet, and eventually the web. Then I found out that boomers got moved up to '64, and I got shoved into the group who gets laughed about for digital ineptitude.

Edit: fixed error (older, not younger dummy)

8 Likes

The joke about “I’ll just join whatever protest is in progress” isn’t remotely funny. Why wouldn’t you? Do you often walk by protests and ignore them, even if they are about things you care about? I Once joined a group of Act Up folks protesting Marilyn Quayle back during the '92 election. And I am NOT gen Z.

Me (walking past after class): “What’s going on?”

Random person: “People are protesting Mrs. Quayle because of how Reagan and Bush have treated AIDs victims.”

Me: “Give me a fucking sign.” (chanting) “Po Ta To! Po Ta To!”

24 Likes

I can’t help but thinking that a lot of this punching down “joking” about Gen-Z (and Millennials before them) comes from a place of bitterness concerning the fact that members of younger generations have so much potential to do more and be more than the people telling the “jokes” (or writing overly long editorials), who have long since squandered such opportunities.

7 Likes

That’s a bit what I don’t get.

This comedian is apparently 28. He’s basically punching down at his own peer group. Using some pretty rote jokes usually targeted at my parent’s age block (60s).

I mean there’s a bit in the middle about “cancel culture”, and he drops the phrase “critical race theory” like it’s a punch line.

13 Likes

He’s only 28? From the looks of him, I thought he was around 40.

9 Likes

Damn. same. I thought he was my age. Feels lazy then.

6 Likes

Wikipedia also tags him as “Christian comedy”.

Which isn’t neccisarily indicative of anything. Pete Holmes famously made his nut on the Christian circuit.

But if this is the grade of material he produces that’s not a great sign. Also looks like he is closely associated with a performer who was me too-ed a couple years back and pled Jesus.

6 Likes

“Christian Comedy*” = “Right-Wing Comedy” = Not Funny Comedy

With the exception of Dave Alen.

5 Likes