Ancient redwoods cloned and replanted

We Are Groot.

4 Likes

On some level it’s already happened. The plants just look like us, and they strike out anything not like them. Dare I say more like Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1958 /The Body Snatchers, Finney, yet they do not wish me to be like them, but rather see those too different as compost material.

That is a great creature feature, and I hope it is redone someday, as well as the “The Thing” was. It has it flaws, that are a product of the time it was made, but it is still a fun watch.

1 Like

All kidding aside… I love conifers. Something about them…

2 Likes

They smell nice.

2 Likes

Barely relevant.

5 Likes

The General Sherman tree mentioned here is not a redwood. It’s a Giant Sequoia— different genus, different species, different habitat. At best, this is sloppy reporting re an important subject. Redwoods are easily cloned, Giant Sequoia less so. It helps if you know what trees you’re talking about.

5 Likes

16 Likes

Coming up next: How not to be seen.

5 Likes

3 Likes

That’s nuts! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (sorry couldn’t help it)

2 Likes

There was a book out about this guy and his efforts to clone and plant these survivor/champion trees. His story is wild and interesting, and so is the story of the trees and the ecosystems they are a part of. I think it was in this book that I learned that redwoods remain in just a small fraction of their original range. By the end of the book I didn’t know if i agreed about his philosophy/science on the champion tree concept, but it was obvious he was doing something, and visibly so, that could stand doing:

1 Like

I think we all know where this is going to end.

Yes, that. But something about their… friendliness. I guess I got some Druid in me.

Probably the best book I read in 2018. Captivating.

1 Like

“What you make from a tree should be at least as miraculous as what you cut down.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.