Another Boeing disaster as plane nosedives, causing 50 injuries — 30 who are tossed up to roof

Pretty much exactly this. The air crew were in their seats buckled, telling people to kindly stay in their seats for everyone’s safety. It was a Portuguese airline, that is what they said in English at least.

4 Likes

As terrible and terrifying as it still is, I hope those passengers were “merely” thrown to the plane’s ceiling, and not all the way to the roof.

1 Like

Mostly the latter. Any story involving a Boeing gets clicks right now. If this had been an Airbus, or had happened six months ago you probably wouldn’t have heard about it.
(eg, I don’t think this one got reported by boingboing or any major news services, because despite being almost identical, it was an Airbus)

5 Likes

it absolutly sounds like this “glitch” caused the dive:

“He said for that brief moment he couldn’t control anything and that’s when the plane did what it did. Then he said the gauges came back and it reengaged, the plane just reengaged to its normal flight pattern”

2 Likes

That’s honestly what I was thinking. Boeing has eyes, so websites can get more attention using Boeing. It also has the effect of implying that air travel is still safe, just as long as you avoid one company. But imagine the hell the airline industry would see is everyone started reporting every single incident.

I’ve often thought the same about the automobile industry.

2 Likes

A photo has emerged of the LATAM Boeing 787’s wing… :thinking: …maintenance issues? No, apparently just “speed tape”. Still, doesn’t look very pretty.

Aviation experts have previously said the that while it may look like duct tape, the material used on aircraft wings is actually an aluminium-based material known in the aviation world as speed tape, which is safe for certain types of repairs.

5 Likes

3 Likes

what. the. flying. fuck?!? these are not minor “normal” maintenance repairs! jfc! “just” speed tape. this is insane!

Turbulence isn’t so freaky anymore

4 Likes

So maybe not so much of a glitch after all but good old ‘pilot error’…or in this case, crew error.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/15/business/latam-airlines-flight-cause/index.html

The Journal report, which cites unnamed US industry officials briefed on preliminary evidence from an investigation of the incident, said that a flight attendant may have mistakenly hit a switch on the pilot’s seat while serving a meal, leading a motorized feature to push the pilot into the controls and push down the plane’s nose. The pilot eventually recovered control and landed the plane safely.

2 Likes
3 Likes

4 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.