Anti-vaxxer invited by Senate Republicans to testify before Homeland Security Committee on Tuesday

These assholes again. Their positions are completely logic-proof, they avoid talking to people who actually know what the fuck they are talking about, limiting statements to official looking press releases, astroturf “conventions” and websites. They are also LGBTQA-phobic and woo-friendly. Best just ignored.

8 Likes

We don’t know exactly what the risks are of her appearing and speaking. Does this mean she shouldn’t speak? I am tempted, but the reality is that we can put bounds on that risk and decide if it’s acceptable in consideration of the risk of not letting her speak.

Likewise, we have rather strong evidence that allows us to place upper bounds on the risk of a vaccine compared to the risk of the disease it prevents. Her argument, such as it is, is nothing but scaremongering.

3 Likes

Where is ‘my body, my choice’ when it comes to this?"

I’ve not heard a single thing about mandatory vaccinations. I feel like this is a republican claim for a policy that does not exist.

4 Likes

That’s what makes me glad researchers are not all taking the same approach to tackling the problem:

6 Likes

If we could get thick enough hamberders America would Rule!

[quote]
This line of argument boils down to “if you don’t understand something, how do you know anyone else understands it?”. [/quote]

This is similar to the “gotcha!” you hear from the anti-Enlightenment crowd when someone gets a scientist to qualify a statement in the slightest degree.

4 Likes

I’m thinking their doctor should be the one to decide these things. I certainly don’t feel confident in the ability of your average person to decide for themselves whether or not they should get the vaccine.

1 Like

Then we come into issues of whether the drug is available, and if asymptomatic vaccinated shedders will be given it. Hopefully it ends up being widely available without serious side-effects, so it actually can do some good.

2 Likes

Well c’mon, we’re not fetuses, for cryin’ out loud…

6 Likes

Yup. If this disinformationist is invited to testify, it’s the Democrats’ job to grill her well-done.

6 Likes

It’s a deliberate ploy to dilute messages promoting abortion rights.
“I can’t endanger everyone around me and possibly kill them, why am I allowed to deliberately murder an unborn fully-formed white Christian soul?”

4 Likes

In point of fact they’re not even dead (i.e., don’t contain deactivated viruses). All they have is a strand of mRNA that codes for a specific non-dangerous virus protein. We don’t have a lot of data yet but according to logic, these vaccines should be reasonably safe even for immunosuppressed people.

3 Likes

Not that new. BioNTech (the German company that actually developed the Pfizer vaccine) has been researching mRNA vaccines for over a decade now. The COVID-19 vaccine is just the first big application of their “vaccine platform” that is actually about to be approved for widespread use.

In particular, BioNTech did research on vaccines against SARS-CoV-1 and MERS-CoV, but these never got approved because it is difficult to find enough people for meaningful clinical trials, given that SARS-CoV-1 is basically extinct and MERS-CoV is very rare.

8 Likes

They cannot multiply, they cannot even persist. In regards to the immune compromised, the problem may be that they don’t respond as well, not that something dangerous would happen.

Note: This applies to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, mRNA vaccines.

8 Likes

Just in case anyone is interested in a deeper dive into these deranged assholes:

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.